TEMPE, Ariz. — Three BYU players fall to three top-25 opponents in the second round as the first day of the Thunderbird Invitational concluded Friday at Arizona State.
“The girls fought hard and played well,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “This level of competition raised our confidence.”
Freshman Mayci Jones won her first match of the day against Arizona State’s Gussie O’Sullivan, 1-3, 6-3, 6-2. She then battled No. 5 Anett Schutting of California and lost, 6-1, 6-4.
Sophomore Nicolette Tran also advanced in her first match of the day by blanking Fresno State’s Tanya Murtagh, 6-0, 6-0. Tran also faced tough competition as she fell to No. 23 in the nation, Klara Fabikova of California, 2-6, 6-0, 6-0.
The third BYU player to advance in singles, Meghan Sheehan-Dizon, was also stopped in the second round. After beating Arizona State’s Kassidy Jump, 6-4, 6-3, she was topped by No. 12 Petra Niedermayerova of Kansas State, 6-4, 6-4.
In consolation singles, Morgan Anderson defeated Kansas State’s Amina St. Hill, 6-3, 6-3. She fell in her first match of the day against Stephanie Vlad of Arizona State, 6-2, 6-0.
Freshman Toby Miclat lost her first-round match against California’s Maegan Manasse, 6-4, 6-3. She bounced back in her second match with a comeback victory over Annie Weirda of Michigan, 2-6, 6-1, 6-0.
In doubles, the team of Miclat and Desiree Tran dominated California’s Alice Duranteau and Cecilia Estlander, 8-2. Anderson teamed up with Michigan’s Sara Remynse to defeat St. Hill and Livia Cirnu of Kansas State, 8-4.
Jones and Sheehan-Dizon narrowly fell to Arizona State’s Vlad and Joanna Smith, 8-7 (10-8)
Tournament action will continue Saturday at the invitational beginning with doubles at 8:30 a.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 50
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12