TEMPE, Ariz. — Three BYU players fall to three top-25 opponents in the second round as the first day of the Thunderbird Invitational concluded Friday at Arizona State.
“The girls fought hard and played well,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “This level of competition raised our confidence.”
Freshman Mayci Jones won her first match of the day against Arizona State’s Gussie O’Sullivan, 1-3, 6-3, 6-2. She then battled No. 5 Anett Schutting of California and lost, 6-1, 6-4.
Sophomore Nicolette Tran also advanced in her first match of the day by blanking Fresno State’s Tanya Murtagh, 6-0, 6-0. Tran also faced tough competition as she fell to No. 23 in the nation, Klara Fabikova of California, 2-6, 6-0, 6-0.
The third BYU player to advance in singles, Meghan Sheehan-Dizon, was also stopped in the second round. After beating Arizona State’s Kassidy Jump, 6-4, 6-3, she was topped by No. 12 Petra Niedermayerova of Kansas State, 6-4, 6-4.
In consolation singles, Morgan Anderson defeated Kansas State’s Amina St. Hill, 6-3, 6-3. She fell in her first match of the day against Stephanie Vlad of Arizona State, 6-2, 6-0.
Freshman Toby Miclat lost her first-round match against California’s Maegan Manasse, 6-4, 6-3. She bounced back in her second match with a comeback victory over Annie Weirda of Michigan, 2-6, 6-1, 6-0.
In doubles, the team of Miclat and Desiree Tran dominated California’s Alice Duranteau and Cecilia Estlander, 8-2. Anderson teamed up with Michigan’s Sara Remynse to defeat St. Hill and Livia Cirnu of Kansas State, 8-4.
Jones and Sheehan-Dizon narrowly fell to Arizona State’s Vlad and Joanna Smith, 8-7 (10-8)
Tournament action will continue Saturday at the invitational beginning with doubles at 8:30 a.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU... 28