TEMPE, Ariz. — Three BYU players fall to three top-25 opponents in the second round as the first day of the Thunderbird Invitational concluded Friday at Arizona State.
“The girls fought hard and played well,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “This level of competition raised our confidence.”
Freshman Mayci Jones won her first match of the day against Arizona State’s Gussie O’Sullivan, 1-3, 6-3, 6-2. She then battled No. 5 Anett Schutting of California and lost, 6-1, 6-4.
Sophomore Nicolette Tran also advanced in her first match of the day by blanking Fresno State’s Tanya Murtagh, 6-0, 6-0. Tran also faced tough competition as she fell to No. 23 in the nation, Klara Fabikova of California, 2-6, 6-0, 6-0.
The third BYU player to advance in singles, Meghan Sheehan-Dizon, was also stopped in the second round. After beating Arizona State’s Kassidy Jump, 6-4, 6-3, she was topped by No. 12 Petra Niedermayerova of Kansas State, 6-4, 6-4.
In consolation singles, Morgan Anderson defeated Kansas State’s Amina St. Hill, 6-3, 6-3. She fell in her first match of the day against Stephanie Vlad of Arizona State, 6-2, 6-0.
Freshman Toby Miclat lost her first-round match against California’s Maegan Manasse, 6-4, 6-3. She bounced back in her second match with a comeback victory over Annie Weirda of Michigan, 2-6, 6-1, 6-0.
In doubles, the team of Miclat and Desiree Tran dominated California’s Alice Duranteau and Cecilia Estlander, 8-2. Anderson teamed up with Michigan’s Sara Remynse to defeat St. Hill and Livia Cirnu of Kansas State, 8-4.
Jones and Sheehan-Dizon narrowly fell to Arizona State’s Vlad and Joanna Smith, 8-7 (10-8)
Tournament action will continue Saturday at the invitational beginning with doubles at 8:30 a.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 73
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 22
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 14
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12