SALT LAKE CITY — Republican delegates in House District 58 have selected a replacement for former Rep. Spencer Cox — his fourth cousin.
Sanpete County Commissioner Jon Cox won 64.8 percent of the vote in the election held in Mount Pleasant on Thursday, besting a fellow commissioner and the mayor of Gunnison.
"I'm honored and humbled by this opportunity to serve rural Utah in the Legislature," said Jon Cox, who lives in Ephraim. "Spencer was a tireless defender for Sanpete and Juab counties, so I have some incredibly big shoes to fill."
Gov. Gary Herbert named Spencer Cox lieutenant governor last month to replace Greg Bell, who resigned. Jon Cox and Spencer Cox are fourth cousins, said Jeff Peterson, Utah Republican Party executive director.
"His experience as a county commissioner has made him distinctly aware of the issues his district and rural Utah faces, and we wish him the best of success as our newest state legislator," state GOP Chairman James Evans said.
The governor must approve Jon Cox's nomination.
— Dennis Romboy
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 56
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden... 8
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8