SALT LAKE CITY — Republican delegates in House District 58 have selected a replacement for former Rep. Spencer Cox — his fourth cousin.
Sanpete County Commissioner Jon Cox won 64.8 percent of the vote in the election held in Mount Pleasant on Thursday, besting a fellow commissioner and the mayor of Gunnison.
"I'm honored and humbled by this opportunity to serve rural Utah in the Legislature," said Jon Cox, who lives in Ephraim. "Spencer was a tireless defender for Sanpete and Juab counties, so I have some incredibly big shoes to fill."
Gov. Gary Herbert named Spencer Cox lieutenant governor last month to replace Greg Bell, who resigned. Jon Cox and Spencer Cox are fourth cousins, said Jeff Peterson, Utah Republican Party executive director.
"His experience as a county commissioner has made him distinctly aware of the issues his district and rural Utah faces, and we wish him the best of success as our newest state legislator," state GOP Chairman James Evans said.
The governor must approve Jon Cox's nomination.
— Dennis Romboy
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13