SALT LAKE CITY — Republican delegates in House District 58 have selected a replacement for former Rep. Spencer Cox — his fourth cousin.
Sanpete County Commissioner Jon Cox won 64.8 percent of the vote in the election held in Mount Pleasant on Thursday, besting a fellow commissioner and the mayor of Gunnison.
"I'm honored and humbled by this opportunity to serve rural Utah in the Legislature," said Jon Cox, who lives in Ephraim. "Spencer was a tireless defender for Sanpete and Juab counties, so I have some incredibly big shoes to fill."
Gov. Gary Herbert named Spencer Cox lieutenant governor last month to replace Greg Bell, who resigned. Jon Cox and Spencer Cox are fourth cousins, said Jeff Peterson, Utah Republican Party executive director.
"His experience as a county commissioner has made him distinctly aware of the issues his district and rural Utah faces, and we wish him the best of success as our newest state legislator," state GOP Chairman James Evans said.
The governor must approve Jon Cox's nomination.
— Dennis Romboy
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Police say man murdered his mother in her...
- UTA offers fare for food in Utah Food Bank drive
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 30
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 21
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 11
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7