SALT LAKE CITY — Republican delegates in House District 58 have selected a replacement for former Rep. Spencer Cox — his fourth cousin.
Sanpete County Commissioner Jon Cox won 64.8 percent of the vote in the election held in Mount Pleasant on Thursday, besting a fellow commissioner and the mayor of Gunnison.
"I'm honored and humbled by this opportunity to serve rural Utah in the Legislature," said Jon Cox, who lives in Ephraim. "Spencer was a tireless defender for Sanpete and Juab counties, so I have some incredibly big shoes to fill."
Gov. Gary Herbert named Spencer Cox lieutenant governor last month to replace Greg Bell, who resigned. Jon Cox and Spencer Cox are fourth cousins, said Jeff Peterson, Utah Republican Party executive director.
"His experience as a county commissioner has made him distinctly aware of the issues his district and rural Utah faces, and we wish him the best of success as our newest state legislator," state GOP Chairman James Evans said.
The governor must approve Jon Cox's nomination.
— Dennis Romboy
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15