SALT LAKE CITY — Republican delegates in House District 58 have selected a replacement for former Rep. Spencer Cox — his fourth cousin.
Sanpete County Commissioner Jon Cox won 64.8 percent of the vote in the election held in Mount Pleasant on Thursday, besting a fellow commissioner and the mayor of Gunnison.
"I'm honored and humbled by this opportunity to serve rural Utah in the Legislature," said Jon Cox, who lives in Ephraim. "Spencer was a tireless defender for Sanpete and Juab counties, so I have some incredibly big shoes to fill."
Gov. Gary Herbert named Spencer Cox lieutenant governor last month to replace Greg Bell, who resigned. Jon Cox and Spencer Cox are fourth cousins, said Jeff Peterson, Utah Republican Party executive director.
"His experience as a county commissioner has made him distinctly aware of the issues his district and rural Utah faces, and we wish him the best of success as our newest state legislator," state GOP Chairman James Evans said.
The governor must approve Jon Cox's nomination.
— Dennis Romboy
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- Herriman woman wants murder charge in death...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 13