Book review: 'Mormon Origami' by Todd Huisken a delight for Mormons of all ages
Cedar Fort Publishing and Media
Marriage and family therapist Todd Huisken has found a unique way to unwind after a day of counseling his clients. He has embraced the ancient paper-folding art of origami. A member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Huisken shares his original creations in the recently released “Mormon Origami.”
Taking his inspiration from stories found in the Book of Mormon and LDS Church history, Huisken has created 25 original designs, including a section on modern-day temples. Children through adults may enjoy folding a single sheet of square paper into pioneer handcarts, CTR shields, Nehpi’s ship, LDS temples or even a rendering of the statue of Moroni.
The table of contents groups each pattern into one of three categories while an index indicates which progressive skill level is required to complete the various projects. This skill level is found at the top of each page as well as an unusual piece of trivia or a quiz question. This adds meaning and interest to each origami design.
Huisken spent six years as an early morning seminary teacher. He and his wife, Jill have been married for more than 23 years and are the parents of three daughters and a son. The family lives in southern California.
Huisken received his undergraduate degree in psychology from Brigham Young University and his master’s degree in marriage and family therapy from the University of San Diego. He works as a therapist in Irvine, Calif.
“Mormon Origami” is user-friendly and a nice addition to the tools available for parents and teachers as they strive to make learning gospel principles enjoyable and memorable.
Stephanie Abney, eternal optimist, retired school teacher and freelance writer, lives in Mesa, Ariz., with her husband, Jim. They have five children and 18 grandchildren. Email is firstname.lastname@example.org and she blogs at stephaniesaysso.blogspot.com.
- 24 inspiring quotes from President Boyd K....
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Healing underway in Greek Orthodox community
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,... 33
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders... 23
- Ten Commandments decision prompts... 19
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 10
- LDS missionaries in some countries no... 8
- Not everyone has given up on God 8