Dick Harmon: Wisconsin provides huge opportunity for Cougars
Gary Andersen brought with him his USU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. He was brilliant in Logan and in Madison at stopping teams when he’s got the back end zone stripe to prop up his defense as a 12th defender. Aranda shifts to a horizontal instead of a vertical protection mindset and it works because of sound assignment and execution. Statistically, Wisconsin yields a meager 38.1 percent touchdowns to opponents who get in the red zone.
In short, if the Cougars want to walk away with a huge upset here, they’ll need to get chunk yardage against an outstanding defense — get an early lead and make the Badgers have to pass instead of eat up the clock with their powerful run game.
Can it be done? It’s up to BYU’s offensive line.
This week’s picks:
Missouri 27, Arkansas 17: The Tigers have taken up the SEC role as a real force.
Texas 32, West Virginia 21: The Longhorns have figured things out since Provo.
Washington 38, Colorado 10: Steve Sarkisian’s good and USC is noticing the kid from Torrance.
USC 28, Cal 10: The Trojans will easily take care of this Pac 12 stepping stool.
UCLA 34, Arizona 24: Jim Mora, there’s a new sheriff visiting Tucson.
Notre Dame 21, Pitt 10: Fighting Irish sniffing a climb in BCS rankings.
USU 28, UNLV 21: Aggies cash in.
Arizona State 38, Utah 28: Who has more firepower? Visitors.
Wisconsin 24, BYU 21: If the Cougars score 24, they will win, but a lack of a smash-nose run game and penalties here will cost them.
Last week 7-0; Overall 63-20 (75.9)
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former BYU wide receiver...
- BYU's Mendenhall on the cusp of embarking on...
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- Whittingham's second decade at the helm of...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 89
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 63
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- High school football: Parry's Power... 23