Between the third and fourth quarters, Badger fans jump in unison to the song, “Jump Around,” a ’90s hit by House of Pain, that blares over the loudspeakers at Camp Randall Stadium.
“That’s one of the reasons why it’s best atmosphere in college football,” Everett said. “It’s exciting. I’ve never experienced anything like it anywhere else. It’s fun.”
“It’s definitely worth sticking around the entire game for,” Lange said. “There’s been talk about reinforcing the stadium because of how many students jump up and down. At the Rose Bowl, they played the 'Jump Around' song. It was awesome. The thing I love the most is everyone’s on the same page here. Everybody wears red. It’s so lively. There are people on every street corner. It’s upbeat and awesome to be around it.”
Everett said it’s “kind of weird” to be playing a non-conference opponent in the month of November. But he likes it.
“We used to play a lot of cupcakes for our non-conference games,” he said. “It’s nice to see other types of teams come in here.”
When Everett thinks of BYU, he thinks of former quarterback, and Heisman Trophy winner, Ty Detmer and the Cougars’ winning tradition.
Lange admitted he is unfamiliar with BYU.
“Honestly, I don’t know much about BYU. Are they in the top 25?” he asked. “It will be a fight to the finish, but I think the Badgers realize they have to get these wins to get to a good bowl game. I’ve got to go with the Badgers, baby. I would say 24-21. It will be a close game with some good offense and good defense. It will go down to the wire.”
Back at Mickey’s, BYU fan Steven Facer and his friend, William Gibson, are eating a hearty breakfast.
Facer is wearing a Cougar hoodie, while Gibson has on a UCLA sweatshirt. It’s their first time to Madison. Facer and Gibson live in Seattle, where they own five Papa Murphy’s pizza restaurants.
Earlier this season, Facer picked BYU to upset Texas. His confidence is high.
“They’ll beat Wisconsin, 28-24," he said. “If we played the way against Texas, not the way we played against Virginia, I think we’ll come out with a hard-fought victory. (Quarterback) Taysom Hill is an incredible player. If he does what he does, then we’ll be good.”
What kind of atmosphere does this diehard Cougar fan expect Saturday at Camp Randall?
“I’m expecting a lot of red,” Facer said, noting that he and his friend are staying at the Hotel Red, located next to the stadium. “It doesn’t repulse me like the (University of Utah) red.”
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to avoid...
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters Golf...
- Roster rundown: See the contract status and...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Utah Jazz: Reflecting back on a rough...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 87
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 60
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 59
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 55
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24