SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will honor 11 Utah veterans, including a female admiral, at its 16th annual Veterans Day Commemoration Ceremony.
The event is Monday, Nov. 11, in the ballroom in the A. Ray Olpin Union Building. The tribute includes a panel discussion, a 21-cannon salute, an awards ceremony and a concert.
The panel discussion, “Women in Combat Arms,” begins at 8:45 a.m. and focuses on changes in the military related to women serving in combat positions.
The awards ceremony beings at 11 a.m., symbolic of the history of Veterans Day, which celebrates the armistice that ended World War I on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. The veterans will receive a commemorative medallion at the ceremony. An additional award, the Student Veteran of the Year, will be awarded to a current U student. The ceremony will conclude with a 21-cannon salute at noon.
The final event, the Veterans Day concert, begins at 7 p.m. in the Huntsman Center. It features the Utah National Guard, 23rd Army Band and combined Granite School District High School Choir performing patriotic songs. For more information, call 801-432-4407.
The following veterans will be honored: Maxine Conder, Navy, Korean War; Ray Matheny, Army Air Corps, World War II; Air Force, Korean War; Lawrence Weist, Army, Vietnam War; Spencer Felt, Army Air Corp, World War II; Forrest Allinder, Army, World War II; Tommy Hollingsworth, Air Force, Korean War; Army, Southeast Asia; William Hansen, Army, Vietnam War; Stephen Featherstone, Army, Vietnam War; Edward Kay, Army, Korean War; James Slade, Army, Vietnam War; Utah Army National Guard; Elton Taylor, Marines, World War II; Army, Korean and Vietnam wars
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 32
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 20
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17