SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will honor 11 Utah veterans, including a female admiral, at its 16th annual Veterans Day Commemoration Ceremony.
The event is Monday, Nov. 11, in the ballroom in the A. Ray Olpin Union Building. The tribute includes a panel discussion, a 21-cannon salute, an awards ceremony and a concert.
The panel discussion, “Women in Combat Arms,” begins at 8:45 a.m. and focuses on changes in the military related to women serving in combat positions.
The awards ceremony beings at 11 a.m., symbolic of the history of Veterans Day, which celebrates the armistice that ended World War I on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. The veterans will receive a commemorative medallion at the ceremony. An additional award, the Student Veteran of the Year, will be awarded to a current U student. The ceremony will conclude with a 21-cannon salute at noon.
The final event, the Veterans Day concert, begins at 7 p.m. in the Huntsman Center. It features the Utah National Guard, 23rd Army Band and combined Granite School District High School Choir performing patriotic songs. For more information, call 801-432-4407.
The following veterans will be honored: Maxine Conder, Navy, Korean War; Ray Matheny, Army Air Corps, World War II; Air Force, Korean War; Lawrence Weist, Army, Vietnam War; Spencer Felt, Army Air Corp, World War II; Forrest Allinder, Army, World War II; Tommy Hollingsworth, Air Force, Korean War; Army, Southeast Asia; William Hansen, Army, Vietnam War; Stephen Featherstone, Army, Vietnam War; Edward Kay, Army, Korean War; James Slade, Army, Vietnam War; Utah Army National Guard; Elton Taylor, Marines, World War II; Army, Korean and Vietnam wars
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 93
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 19
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 12