Hex breakers: Unlikely goalscorers propel RSL past the LA Galaxy in MLS Cup playoffs
“I remember the play I saw Wingert take a touch back and he crossed it, and I saw Robbie (Findley) made first post run and Omar (Gonzalez) went with him and I was just by myself, so I just kind of put my head into it and it went in the back of the net. It was an amazing feeling. I’m never going to forget that moment,” said Velasquez.
RSL kept the match level on aggregate until halftime, a big accomplishment because 44th-minute goals against Monterrey and D.C. United in past finals were the club's undoing.
The Galaxy had a wonderful chance to go back in front in the 65th minute after Rimando spilled a rebound from Roggie Rogers, but incredibly RSL’s 'keeper was able to gather himself a split-second later to make a point-blank save on a Landon Donovan shot.
“At this time of the year you need players like Rimando, Beckerman, Morales, Saborio to step up and make huge plays — Borchers, Schuler included — and all of those guys did everything and anything possible to win this game,” said Kreis.
The winning goal finally game in the 102nd minute of soccer as Schuler slipped in behind Galaxy defender Sean Franklin at the far post and buried Morales’ free kick to send Rio Tinto Stadium into pandemonium.
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- Dick Harmon: Many expect Jabari Parker to...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 52
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 50
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 45
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 43
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24