BYU basketball: Cougars open the season against Weber State at home
PROVO — The BYU men's basketball team tips off the regular season with a home game against Weber State Friday night at the Marriott Center. The game starts at 7 p.m. MST and will be televised live on BYUtv.
BYU enters the game off exhibition victories over Colorado College (94-59) and Alaska-Anchorage (99-68.)
The team is expected to be led by junior swingman and preseason All-American Tyler Haws. Haws led the West Coast Conference in scoring last year with a 21.7 per game average.
The team features five newcomers — four of whom could play a major role on the team this season. True freshman center Eric Mika is expected to start while Luke Worthington (6-foot-10, forward), Frank Bartley (6-foot-3 guard) and Skyler Halford (6-foot-1 guard) look to contribute off the bench. Wake Forest transfer Chase Fischer will sit out the season due to NCAA transfer rules.
The team returns the services of Kyle Collinsworth, who is fresh off his two-year LDS mission to Russia. Collinsworth contributed heavily to the team's success as a true freshman in 2011.
Weber State won its only exhibition game against Adams State 85-77 and is coming off a successful 30-win season last year against just seven losses. The team returns seven players from last year's squad, led by guard Davion Berry (6-foot-4), center Kyle Tresnak (6-foot-10) and forward Joel Bolomboy (6-foot-9.)
BYU won its matchup versus the Wildcats last season 78-68 and is 27-6 against in-state opponents under head coach Dave Rose. BYU is also 5-3 in season openers and 7-1 in home openers since Rose became head coach in 2005.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- How to get a ballpark-like lawn (+video)
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 120
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8