Deseret News launches newly designed app for iPhones, iPads
iTunes App Store
An all-new version of the Deseret News app for iPhones and iPads was released through the iTunes App Store this week.
Version 3.0 of the free iOS app offers a simplified approach to viewing and consuming content by allowing users to sort news stories in one of three ways: by featured, latest or most popular.
“Nearly a quarter of deseretnews.com readers are regularly accessing our content from a mobile device, and that percentage is only going to grow,” said deseretnews.com general manager Chris Higbee. “Not only are our readers accessing our news on the go, but they’re doing it from all around the country and the world. Almost half of the traffic to our website comes from outside of Utah. Wherever you’re from, this new app is a huge upgrade, and we think it will be well received by our most regular app users as well as those who’ve just downloaded it.”
Other key features of the app include:
- Swipe-through navigation;
- High-resolution photos and streaming videos;
- Easy social sharing via Facebook, Twitter, email and text message;
- Offline reading, for when users don’t have an Internet connection;
- Push notifications for real-time alerts on breaking and important news stories.
“We’re really excited about the way app users can drill down to the content they care about most,” said Nate Barrett, deseretnews.com’s product director. “Sports fans will especially love how easily they can find the stories they care about most, whether they’re fans of high school teams, BYU, Real Salt Lake or all three.”
iPhone and iPad owners can download the new app from iTunes or from the App Store on their devices.
An upgrade to the Android version of the Deseret News app will be released in the coming months.
Burke Olsen is director of content for deseretnews.com.
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- 10 Utahns charged in alleged identity theft...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry for...
- Sandy man beat woman, tried to put her in an...
- 6-year-old recounts terror of man breaking...
- UVU hopes to become 'national leader' with...
- Man stabbed in downtown Salt Lake near Temple...
- Feds to drop some charges in Jeremy Johnson...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 58
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 40
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 30
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 14
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 12