3A high school football preview: Judge vs. Juab
It's a ground game vs. an air attack as Judge and Juab face off
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
CEDAR CITY — Contrasting styles will square off Friday in one leg of the 3A state semifinals at Southern Utah University. Juab, with its pass-happy offense will take on favorite Judge Memorial, and a punishing ground attack.
Both productive systems and both the cause of concern for both coaching staffs.
“Judge is a big, athletic and a real physical team. As physical as any team we’ve faced so far,” said Juab coach Mike Bowring. “We're excited for the challenge and hopefully things work out well and we can advance."
Judge is led by quarterback Kaden Ellis, who is the team's leading rusher with 774 yards and 15 touchdowns on the year. He's also thrown for 629 yards and eight touchdowns.
"We've been running the ball well, but we don't want to be too one-dimensional," said Judge coach James Cordova. "We're hoping to be more productive throwing the ball and that starts with Kaden Ellis, who has been a great player and leader for us this year."
Judge had no trouble dispatching North Sanpete in the first round — winning by a score of 35-0. Ellis led the way with seven rushes for 122 yards and three touchdowns.
Juab, meanwhile, held off Grantsville 28-21 to advance. Quarterback Nick Robbins led the way with 261 yards and two touchdowns. His favorite target was receiver Brandon Morgan who had nine receptions for 151 yards.
"Their quarterback is an impressive player," Cordova said. "He has command of the offense and can make plays. It's going to be a tough matchup, but if we simply keep plays in front of us on defense and run the ball effectively, we should be fine."
The teams take the field Friday at 4 p.m. at Southern Utah University.
Juab statistical breakdown
Scoring offense: 34.0 ppg (3rd in 3A)
Scoring defense: 20.5 ppg (5th in 3A)
Passing leader: Nick Robins (136-223, 61.0 percent, 2,086 yards, 30 TDs)
Receiving leaders: Dedric Davidson (29 catches, 632 yards, 11 TDs), Brandon Morgan (42 catches, 845 yards, 7 TDs)
Tackles leaders: Dalton Harmon (71 tackles), Jeff Rowley (70 tackles)
Sack leaders: Macoy Fuller (5 sacks)
Interception leaders: Chance Carlton, Brandon Morgan (3 INTs)
Judge statistical breakdown
Scoring offense: 37.5 ppg (1st in 3A)
Scoring defense: 16.0 ppg (4th in 3A)
Passing leader: Kaden Elliss (33-72, 45.8 percent, 629 yards, 8 TDs)
Rushing leaders: Kaden Elliss (90 carries, 774 yards, 15 TDs), Max Barnett (74 carries, 554 yards, 7 TDs), Henry Garcia (71 carries, 505 yards, 6 TDs)
Receiving leaders: Braden Pelly (13 catches, 288 yards, 4 TDs)
Tackles leaders: Max Barnett (80 tackles), Braden Pelly (66 tackles)
Sack leaders: Ricki Maka (3 sacks)
Interception leaders: Sean McMininee (5 INTs)
Felt’s Facts for Juab High School
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24