Gunman shoots at Bountiful man waiting for wife in his car
BOUNTIFUL — A man waiting in a car to pick up his wife was fortunate to escape unharmed after police say he was Tasered and shot at during a failed robbery attempt.
About 10 p.m. Wednesday, a man was sitting in his car in a parking lot near 1350 N. Main, said Bountiful Assistant Police Chief Ed Biehler. The man was reading a book with the car running while waiting to pick up his wife.
While sitting there, a man wearing a ski mask and a hoodie walked up to his car and opened the driver's side door, Biehler said. The man was holding a gun and demanded the victim's wallet.
The victim told the gunman he didn't have money or a wallet with him, Biehler said. That's when the robber pulled out a stun gun he was holding in his other hand and deployed it on the victim, he said.
The man in the vehicle responded by honking his car horn. The gunman then fired twice into the vehicle with his real gun, Biehler said. One shot hit the door frame, and the other hit the steering column, before the gunman ran off.
Detectives recovered the rounds fired into the vehicle. Police also searched the area but could not find the man.
He was described as being between 5 feet 8 inches and 6 feet tall, in his mid-20s, possibly Hispanic or Polynesian, and was last seen wearing a ski mask, dark pants and a dark hoodie, according to Biehler.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 801-298-6000.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- Shurtleff prosecutor working with feds to get...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 49
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 24
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 9
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7