Gunman shoots at Bountiful man waiting for wife in his car
BOUNTIFUL — A man waiting in a car to pick up his wife was fortunate to escape unharmed after police say he was Tasered and shot at during a failed robbery attempt.
About 10 p.m. Wednesday, a man was sitting in his car in a parking lot near 1350 N. Main, said Bountiful Assistant Police Chief Ed Biehler. The man was reading a book with the car running while waiting to pick up his wife.
While sitting there, a man wearing a ski mask and a hoodie walked up to his car and opened the driver's side door, Biehler said. The man was holding a gun and demanded the victim's wallet.
The victim told the gunman he didn't have money or a wallet with him, Biehler said. That's when the robber pulled out a stun gun he was holding in his other hand and deployed it on the victim, he said.
The man in the vehicle responded by honking his car horn. The gunman then fired twice into the vehicle with his real gun, Biehler said. One shot hit the door frame, and the other hit the steering column, before the gunman ran off.
Detectives recovered the rounds fired into the vehicle. Police also searched the area but could not find the man.
He was described as being between 5 feet 8 inches and 6 feet tall, in his mid-20s, possibly Hispanic or Polynesian, and was last seen wearing a ski mask, dark pants and a dark hoodie, according to Biehler.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 801-298-6000.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- Doug Robinson: Gifts of life bring joy to 2...
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 49
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 49
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 31
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 22
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 15
- Mural on side of restaurant violates... 12