BYU men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams host UNLV this Saturday, Nov. 9 at 1 p.m. MDT at the Richards Building pool.
“The Rebels are very noble opponents and we embrace the competition from both the men and women,” BYU head coach John Brooks said. “They are a hard-working, very well-coached team. Last year it came down to the final relay for our men.”
The Cougars seek redemption after coming up short last year at UNLV. The men’s team was defeated 156.5-143.5, while the women’s team lost 163-137.
Last year, BYU won eight events total with multiple second-place finishes. With new upperclassmen leading the team, the Cougars look to Jordan Fletcher, Hayden Palmer, Hailey Campbell and Kimberly Doroghian, who have all had impressive performances to lead the team to victory.
Nicholas Suder looks to repeat success against UNLV after winning the men’s 1-m and 3-m diving events last year. Raleigh Williams Taylor leads the women’s team in competition, after placing second in the 3-m and third in the 1-m last year.
The men’s team will fight even harder for a win after falling again to UNLV in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships. UNLV was the men’s champion while BYU secured third place. However, the Rebels are no longer conference competition to the Cougars after moving to the Western Athletic Conference earlier this year.
For UNLV so far this season, the women’s team has suffered three losses while the men’s team stands at 2-1. The UNLV roster includes many international swimmers, such as Giacomo Gremizzi, who earned WAC swimmer of the week for his performance in a dual meet against Arizona and Arizona State.
To view the meet results, visit the BYU men’s schedule page.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Looking ahead, behind at the Cougars' and...
- Looking behind, ahead at BYU's schedule after...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- BYU football: Jaren Hall, the son of... 14
- BYU, Nevada both struggling in pass... 13
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Nevada... 10