Colgate freshman Nathan Harries has been cleared to play immediately, several sources reported Thursday.
Harries, who returned from his 2-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in June, was declared ineligible by the NCAA for playing in three games in a church basketball league this past summer. The decision was based on an NCAA rule that stipulates that an athlete who does not enroll immediately after high school graduation cannot participate in organized games.
Harries' dilemma was detailed in an article by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Less than 24 hours later, amid an outcry of media sources, the NCAA did not need to hear an appeal from Colgate to change its mind, according to ESPN.com. A phone call was made to Harris, indicating the matter had been revisited and his suspension had been lifted.
"The NCAA conducted a brief interview with Harries and immediately called back with news it had reversed its decision," ESPN.com reported.
The NCAA will also come out with an official statement on the matter at some point today, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said.
Here are some tweets from people who are reporting on or happy about the decision.
The NCAA reverses its decision and grants waiver to Colgate freshman Nathan Harries. http://t.co/hi2yUOi8N1— Mike Waters (@MikeWatersSYR) November 7, 2013
Justice! NCAA gives Colgate's Nathan Harries his year of eligibility back http://t.co/x9ZTTQGpzf— Sporting News NCAAB (@sn_ncaab) November 7, 2013
Source confirms NCAAA has found its senses. Nathan Harries eligible at Colgate— Dana O'Neil (@ESPNDanaOneil) November 7, 2013
Twitter crowd can take credit for Colgate's Nathan Harries getting his year back, but that was normal NCAA process. Appeal was gonna work.— Michael DeCourcy (@tsnmike) November 7, 2013
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- New Jersey lawsuit seeks to ban Pledge of...
- Wright Words: What do you tell a prospective...
- LDS Easter video viewed over 5 million times
- Photo gallery: Celebrating Easter across the...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- No. 1 on two charts, 'He is Risen' latest hit...
- Faith untested as Americans skeptical of Big...
- Costa Rican a celebrity after certified miracle
- How much did President Obama donate to... 51
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ... 23
- Faith untested as Americans skeptical... 22
- Wright Words: What do you tell a... 21
- New Jersey lawsuit seeks to ban Pledge... 17
- The story behind the missionary reality... 15
- LDS Easter video viewed over 5 million... 14
- Most voters favor prayer, minus Jesus,... 11