Colgate freshman Nathan Harries has been cleared to play immediately, several sources reported Thursday.
Harries, who returned from his 2-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in June, was declared ineligible by the NCAA for playing in three games in a church basketball league this past summer. The decision was based on an NCAA rule that stipulates that an athlete who does not enroll immediately after high school graduation cannot participate in organized games.
Harries' dilemma was detailed in an article by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Less than 24 hours later, amid an outcry of media sources, the NCAA did not need to hear an appeal from Colgate to change its mind, according to ESPN.com. A phone call was made to Harris, indicating the matter had been revisited and his suspension had been lifted.
"The NCAA conducted a brief interview with Harries and immediately called back with news it had reversed its decision," ESPN.com reported.
The NCAA will also come out with an official statement on the matter at some point today, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said.
Here are some tweets from people who are reporting on or happy about the decision.
The NCAA reverses its decision and grants waiver to Colgate freshman Nathan Harries. http://t.co/hi2yUOi8N1— Mike Waters (@MikeWatersSYR) November 7, 2013
Justice! NCAA gives Colgate's Nathan Harries his year of eligibility back http://t.co/x9ZTTQGpzf— Sporting News NCAAB (@sn_ncaab) November 7, 2013
Source confirms NCAAA has found its senses. Nathan Harries eligible at Colgate— Dana O'Neil (@ESPNDanaOneil) November 7, 2013
Twitter crowd can take credit for Colgate's Nathan Harries getting his year back, but that was normal NCAA process. Appeal was gonna work.— Michael DeCourcy (@tsnmike) November 7, 2013
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- First Presidency Easter Message
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 79
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 78
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 52
- How much did President Obama donate to... 47
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 27
- The story behind the missionary reality... 15
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ... 14