NCAA reverses decision on Colgate freshman Nathan Harries and church basketball
Colgate freshman Nathan Harries has been cleared to play immediately, several sources reported Thursday.
Harries, who returned from his 2-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in June, was declared ineligible by the NCAA for playing in three games in a church basketball league this past summer. The decision was based on an NCAA rule that stipulates that an athlete who does not enroll immediately after high school graduation cannot participate in organized games.
Harries' dilemma was detailed in an article by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Less than 24 hours later, amid an outcry of media sources, the NCAA did not need to hear an appeal from Colgate to change its mind, according to ESPN.com. A phone call was made to Harris, indicating the matter had been revisited and his suspension had been lifted.
"The NCAA conducted a brief interview with Harries and immediately called back with news it had reversed its decision," ESPN.com reported.
The NCAA will also come out with an official statement on the matter at some point today, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said.
Here are some tweets from people who are reporting on or happy about the decision.
The NCAA reverses its decision and grants waiver to Colgate freshman Nathan Harries. http://t.co/hi2yUOi8N1— Mike Waters (@MikeWatersSYR) November 7, 2013
Justice! NCAA gives Colgate's Nathan Harries his year of eligibility back http://t.co/x9ZTTQGpzf— Sporting News NCAAB (@sn_ncaab) November 7, 2013
Source confirms NCAAA has found its senses. Nathan Harries eligible at Colgate— Dana O'Neil (@ESPNDanaOneil) November 7, 2013
Twitter crowd can take credit for Colgate's Nathan Harries getting his year back, but that was normal NCAA process. Appeal was gonna work.— Michael DeCourcy (@tsnmike) November 7, 2013
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 91
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 87
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 33
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 31
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22