Utah football notebook: Pac-12 Networks to relive Utes' big 2008 win over TCU
Scott G. Winterton, Dnews
SALT LAKE CITY — Wednesday marked the fifth anniversary of Utah’s thrilling 13-10 win over TCU during the Utes' Sugar Bowl championship season. The Pac-12 Networks is airing a two-hour version of the game across all of its platforms Thursday night at 10 p.m. MST.
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham remembers the whole thing from start to finish. He describes the game as a classic and one for the ages.
Co-offensive coordinator Brian Johnson, who quarterbacked the Utes to victory that night, also has fond memories of the victory.
“That was crazy,” he said. “It was a great game, probably the most electric I’ve seen Rice-Eccles Stadium, being our first ‘blackout game’ and two top 10 teams going at it. It was a great atmosphere.”
STILL GOOD: Utah quarterback Travis Wilson continues to say that his throwing hand, which was banged up before the bye week, is feeling good.
“It’s feeling great,” Wilson said after practice Wednesday. “I’m feeling 100 percent. So it’s ready to go.”
Wilson added that he’s been throwing the ball really well in practice this week.
“I’m really happy with my performance so far,” he said.
TOUGH BUSINESS: After heart-related ailments recently sidelined NFL coaches John Fox of the Denver Broncos and Gary Kubiak of the Houston Texans, Whittingham acknowledged that the profession has its challenges.
“There’s a price to be paid and it takes a toll and I think you saw that in the NFL the past two weeks,” Whittingham said. “And that’s the nature of the business. It’s a high-pressure environment and it’s not going to change. I’m sure it’s going to get a lot worse before it ever gets better, if it ever gets better.”
EXTRA POINTS: Whittingham said Thursday’s Pac-12 game between Oregon and Stanford should be a great game. “It’s two good football teams,” he said. ... As for Saturday’s game between BYU and Wisconsin, Whittingham declined comment other than “zero thoughts on that” — noting that he had his hands full with ASU. ... The Sun Devils have won nine straight against the Utes. Utah’s last win in the series was a 31-28 decision in 1976.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 61
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 30
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 24