President Eyring's biography offers unique view of his life
"I WILL LEAD YOU ALONG: The Life of Henry B. Eyring," by Henry J. Eyring, and Robert I. Eaton, Deseret Book, 531 pages (nf)
When he was a small boy, President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the LDS Church's First Presidency, had a dream in which he sensed the Savior Jesus Christ was gently leading and guiding him along with a light rope. The image and feelings associated with the dream have been a great source of strength throughout his life.
Decades later, the dream has become a theme for the church leader's biography, "I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring."
Co-authored by his son, Henry J. Eyring, and Robert I. Eaton, a large amount of the 530-page book is told in President Eyring's own words with entries from his meticulous journals. Starting in 1970 with a strong impression, President Eyring began making a daily record of his activities.
"The journal shows how a good-but-imperfect man works each day to win divine approval," the authors wrote in the book's introduction.
The biography also features President Eyring's artistic talents. Sketches from the margins in his journal are also included in the margins of the biography. The sketches, combined with numerous family photos, not only provide an interesting layout style, but also a personal glimpse into the emotions, thoughts, decisions and faith of President Eyring and his wife, Kathleen.
The chapters of the book unfold chronologically, starting with his parents, his birth and proceeding up to his academic career, family life and service as a leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Henry J. Eyring is the advancement vice president of BYU-Idaho and has served as director of the BYU MBA program.
Eaton currently serves as president of the Washington Federal Way Mission. Prior to that, he was a professor of religious education at BYU-Idaho.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS Church leaders release letter about...
- First Presidency sends letter with counsel...
- What the LDS Church said about the Supreme...
- Nate Sharp: 'Miraculous events' led to...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Tabernacle Choir performs in the rain near...
- 3 religions, 3 approaches to forgiveness in...
- Memorable sermons from LDS leaders in fewer...
- What the LDS Church said about the... 178
- When Satan steals your motherhood 70
- Religious leaders ponder next steps... 59
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 40
- Where were the Twelve Apostles when... 34
- First Presidency sends letter with... 9
- Washington Cathedral dean on... 8