President Eyring's biography offers unique view of his life
"I WILL LEAD YOU ALONG: The Life of Henry B. Eyring," by Henry J. Eyring, and Robert I. Eaton, Deseret Book, 531 pages (nf)
When he was a small boy, President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the LDS Church's First Presidency, had a dream in which he sensed the Savior Jesus Christ was gently leading and guiding him along with a light rope. The image and feelings associated with the dream have been a great source of strength throughout his life.
Decades later, the dream has become a theme for the church leader's biography, "I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring."
Co-authored by his son, Henry J. Eyring, and Robert I. Eaton, a large amount of the 530-page book is told in President Eyring's own words with entries from his meticulous journals. Starting in 1970 with a strong impression, President Eyring began making a daily record of his activities.
"The journal shows how a good-but-imperfect man works each day to win divine approval," the authors wrote in the book's introduction.
The biography also features President Eyring's artistic talents. Sketches from the margins in his journal are also included in the margins of the biography. The sketches, combined with numerous family photos, not only provide an interesting layout style, but also a personal glimpse into the emotions, thoughts, decisions and faith of President Eyring and his wife, Kathleen.
The chapters of the book unfold chronologically, starting with his parents, his birth and proceeding up to his academic career, family life and service as a leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Henry J. Eyring is the advancement vice president of BYU-Idaho and has served as director of the BYU MBA program.
Eaton currently serves as president of the Washington Federal Way Mission. Prior to that, he was a professor of religious education at BYU-Idaho.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- 27 more tips for couples: Marriage advice,...
- 5 professional athletes who stand up for...
- Elder Oaks warns of rising secularism,...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the Book of...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Sweeping size of Payson Temple reflects...
- Are church youth dances outdated? 69
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 58
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 58
- Spiritual journey leads 3-term U.S.... 50
- Physicist tells New York Times he keeps... 35
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20