Jerry Sintz, Associated Press
KANAB — The Bureau of Land Management Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is seeking public comment on its plan to increase fees at campgrounds and recreation areas.
The plan proposes to increase camping, day-use and group reservation picnic fees at Calf Creek Recreation Area and Deer Creek Campground near Escalante. Fees at both campgrounds have not been increased for more than 12 years, and operational costs continue to rise, according to the BLM.
If the proposed fee hikes are approved, fees at Calf Creek would increase from $7 to $15 per campsite per night; from $2 to $5 per vehicle for day-use; and from $35 to $50 per day for reservation use of the group picnic site. At Deer Creek, fees would increase from $4 to $10 per campsite per night.
An advance reservation system is proposed for approximately five sites that would add an additional $10 per advance reservation as a cost recovery fee. Senior and Access Pass holders will continue to receive a 50 percent discount on all camping fees.
The change is proposed to begin March 1.
The draft business plan addresses campground operational and infrastructure needs in both campgrounds and is available online at on.doi.gov. It is also available by request at the Escalante Interagency Visitor Center and at the Kanab Visitor Center. The Utah Recreation Resource Advisory Council will meet Jan. 10 to consider the proposed fee increases.
Comments will be accepted by letter or email until Dec. 6. Commenters should reference “campground business plan comment” in correspondence or in the subject line of emails. Comments may be mailed to Grand-Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Campground Business Plan Comment, 669 South U.S. 89A, Kanab, UT 84741; or emailed to email@example.com.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- Controversial Rocky Mountain Power bill gets...
- Police investigating death of man found near...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 31
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11