Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward gets 'weird' matchup vs. college coach Brad Stevens in Boston
Michael Conroy, AP
NEW YORK — It was bizarre for Gordon Hayward to learn that his beloved Butler coach had been hired by the Boston Celtics.
Hayward is about to enter the Twilight Zone, aka the Boston Garden, four months later.
For the first time in his life, Hayward will play against a Brad Stevens-coached team Wednesday when the Utah Jazz visit the Celtics.
Stevens was a coach and mentor for Hayward during his two-year college career at the Indianapolis-based university. The Bulldogs rose to fame in 2010 when that pair helped guide the team to the NCAA championship game.
The former Butler bench boss was hired this offseason to replace Doc Rivers, who moved on to the Los Angeles Clippers.
“It will be weird seeing him in green, but it should be fun,” Hayward said Tuesday before the Jazz’s road-trip-opening loss at the Barclays Center to the Nets. “I’m looking forward to that game — hopefully, looking forward to beating my old coach.”
Hayward, who left after his sophomore season and was drafted ninth overall by the Jazz, smiled when pointing out that Stevens’ new organization hired two other Butler products — his teammate/buddy Ronald Nored, who’s been assigned to coach the D-League’s Maine Red Claws, and Drew Cannon, a 23-year-old assistant on the Bulldogs’ staff.
“There’s a lot of people that it will be fun to beat,” Hayward said. “And then I can trash talk afterwards.”
Then again, it's unlikely either side will do much yakking. Both the Jazz and Celtics enter this contest wtih 0-4 records.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Jazz forward Trevor Booker assists Utah...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 45
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 31
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30