BYU cross-country: Jason Witt named National Athlete of the Week
PROVO — BYU cross-country runner Jason Witt has been named the National Athlete of the Week for his first-place finish at the West Coast Conference Championship meet Saturday in Malibu, Calif., leading the Cougars to a team conference championship.
The United States Track and Field Cross-Country Coaches Association announced the award Monday. Witt was one of four Cougars to finish in the top 10 at the WCC Championship meet as the Cougars turned in a dominating performance to win their second conference title in three years. In the lead for most of the race, Witt was passed by Portland's Scott Fauble and San Francisco's Eric Causey on the final loop of the eight kilometer course. With approximately 400 meters left in the race, Witt sprinted to the finish to pass both and regain first place, winning the individual title in 23:14.
"My highest goals were to be top 10 at Wisconsin, to win this meet and to be an All-American at nationals," Witt said. "I have taken care of the first two, now I just need to do well at nationals."
Witt and the Cougars next compete in the upcoming Mountain Region Championships on Nov. 15, in Ogden, Utah, and hope to qualify for the NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Ind., on Nov. 23.
Justin Green is the sports information director over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2013. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15