BYU cross-country: Jason Witt named National Athlete of the Week
PROVO — BYU cross-country runner Jason Witt has been named the National Athlete of the Week for his first-place finish at the West Coast Conference Championship meet Saturday in Malibu, Calif., leading the Cougars to a team conference championship.
The United States Track and Field Cross-Country Coaches Association announced the award Monday. Witt was one of four Cougars to finish in the top 10 at the WCC Championship meet as the Cougars turned in a dominating performance to win their second conference title in three years. In the lead for most of the race, Witt was passed by Portland's Scott Fauble and San Francisco's Eric Causey on the final loop of the eight kilometer course. With approximately 400 meters left in the race, Witt sprinted to the finish to pass both and regain first place, winning the individual title in 23:14.
"My highest goals were to be top 10 at Wisconsin, to win this meet and to be an All-American at nationals," Witt said. "I have taken care of the first two, now I just need to do well at nationals."
Witt and the Cougars next compete in the upcoming Mountain Region Championships on Nov. 15, in Ogden, Utah, and hope to qualify for the NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Ind., on Nov. 23.
Justin Green is the sports information director over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2013. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28