High school football: You won't believe the play Olympus ran to beat Springville in the 4A playoffs
HOLLADAY — It was an incredibly gutsy decision to call a play your players had never been able to execute in practice.
But that’s exactly what Olympus head coach Aaron Whitehead did in the final 11 seconds of the Titans' 43-37 victory against Springville in the first round of the 4A playoffs last Friday night.
The three players who executed the hook and ladder — and ladder, said the Titans refer to it as “ace flipper option.”
It began with a pass from quarterback Chase Manning to Spencer Williams. He took a few steps before pitching it to Connor Haller, who said he saw defenders headed his way. So he pitched it to running back Coleman Meier, who scored the game-winning touchdown.
The three young men discussed the play and their thoughts on the coach's decision to run it on High School Game Night on 700 AM ESPN Radio.
Olympus players discuss ace flipper option
Twitter: adonsports; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 61
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52