High school football: You won't believe the play Olympus ran to beat Springville in the 4A playoffs
HOLLADAY — It was an incredibly gutsy decision to call a play your players had never been able to execute in practice.
But that’s exactly what Olympus head coach Aaron Whitehead did in the final 11 seconds of the Titans' 43-37 victory against Springville in the first round of the 4A playoffs last Friday night.
The three players who executed the hook and ladder — and ladder, said the Titans refer to it as “ace flipper option.”
It began with a pass from quarterback Chase Manning to Spencer Williams. He took a few steps before pitching it to Connor Haller, who said he saw defenders headed his way. So he pitched it to running back Coleman Meier, who scored the game-winning touchdown.
The three young men discussed the play and their thoughts on the coach's decision to run it on High School Game Night on 700 AM ESPN Radio.
Olympus players discuss ace flipper option
Twitter: adonsports; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20