5A volleyball tournament is talent rich with some tough first-round matchups
The Knights are led by senior outside hitter Kaitlin Verbitski and senior libero Kelly Erwin. Lehi is led by libero Cydney Lund and hitters Rylin Roberts and McKayla Houghton.
Defending 5A state champion Pleasant Grove will take on Davis, normally a top team from Region 1. But the Darts have struggled this season and enter the tournament a fourth seed. The two teams met earlier this season, with Pleasant Grove sweeping Davis.
The Vikings have been led by Brisa Winterton, Madison Wolford and Rachel Gale this season.
Third-ranked Bingham will play Cottonwood, and the Miners won the region title without losing a set. In fact, they’ve lost two sets in the last two months.
“The flip side to sweeping teams in three is that we haven’t had a lot of fatigue,” Glasker said. “So we’ve been able to work on stuff at practices. Our kids, for sure, understand that our region isn’t indicative of what we’re going to see at state.”
Which is why the Miners played against teams like Lehi, Riverton and Pleasant Grove all summer.
“The great thing about this year is that whoever wants it is going to get it,” she said.
The Miners are led by senior outside hitters Lexi Thompson and Tori Glasker, as well as Gracie Tuifua.
“I feel bad that three really solid teams are going to get knocked out in that first round,” she said.
Region 2 champion Taylorsville also won its region title without a single loss. The Warriors face West Jordan, a matchup that favors the athletic squad.
The 5A tournament begins at 3:30 p.m. Thursday with all teams playing again later that night. The championship is scheduled for 8 p.m. Saturday, with 4A’s champion match taking place at 5 p.m.
- High school sports: Preps of the week
- High school cross-country: American Fork and...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- Players with local ties set to make big...
- High school football: Late 2-point...
- High school football: No. 1 Bingham forces 4...
- Prep baseball: Panguitch may have tough time...
- High school football: No. 1 Bingham... 21
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig... 7
- Postseason success will not impact... 4
- High school sports: Preps of the week 2
- Big plays save Taylorsville as Warriors... 2
- Photo gallery: Lone Peak defeats Alta... 2
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs... 1
- Corner Canyon holds off pesky... 1