Logan will face Olympus without its starting quarterback
“He describes being hit from the left side, the injured side, and he felt — he called it a ‘zing’ in his knee and a lot of pain,” Goble said. “He reached for his knee when he was laying there and his teammates picked him up. They were just celebrating the touchdown. As he stepped forward with that left leg he couldn’t straighten it. He had to have the leg to step forward, so he forced it and all of sudden it straightened out. That’s what they interpreted as a kick.”
Goble examined Nelson and said he suffered a knee injury on the play, which was confirmed by Favero Monday afternoon via text. Nelson had an MRI and has an ACL contusion, bone bruise and meniscus contusion and possible tear.
When asked how he knew the injury occurred on that play, Goble said he wasn’t.
“I can’t be,” Goble said. “All I know is its consistent with the confusion he had because he felt the pain when he was hit. I cannot be sure that injury occurred on that tackle.”
Nelson injured that same knee last year and Goble said he doesn’t think the teen came up with the story after the fact as the examination confirmed the symptoms Nelson described.
“I don’t think he could think fast enough to defraud the public by grabbing his knee,” Goble said. “The question is did he reinjure it. That’s a spinal cord response, and that’s out of his control.”
Favero said he wasn’t sure who would start in Nelson's spot. The senior was at the University of Utah Medical Center Monday afternoon undergoing more tests on his knee.
Twitter: adonsports; @phibbs_
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision on...
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies past...
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the football...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give Juan...
- High school baseball: Titans ride timely...
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 4
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes... 1
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove... 0
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0