Logan will face Olympus without its starting quarterback
“He describes being hit from the left side, the injured side, and he felt — he called it a ‘zing’ in his knee and a lot of pain,” Goble said. “He reached for his knee when he was laying there and his teammates picked him up. They were just celebrating the touchdown. As he stepped forward with that left leg he couldn’t straighten it. He had to have the leg to step forward, so he forced it and all of sudden it straightened out. That’s what they interpreted as a kick.”
Goble examined Nelson and said he suffered a knee injury on the play, which was confirmed by Favero Monday afternoon via text. Nelson had an MRI and has an ACL contusion, bone bruise and meniscus contusion and possible tear.
When asked how he knew the injury occurred on that play, Goble said he wasn’t.
“I can’t be,” Goble said. “All I know is its consistent with the confusion he had because he felt the pain when he was hit. I cannot be sure that injury occurred on that tackle.”
Nelson injured that same knee last year and Goble said he doesn’t think the teen came up with the story after the fact as the examination confirmed the symptoms Nelson described.
“I don’t think he could think fast enough to defraud the public by grabbing his knee,” Goble said. “The question is did he reinjure it. That’s a spinal cord response, and that’s out of his control.”
Favero said he wasn’t sure who would start in Nelson's spot. The senior was at the University of Utah Medical Center Monday afternoon undergoing more tests on his knee.
Twitter: adonsports; @phibbs_
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 32
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26