Lehi teenager Madison Snow making his mark on the national racing scene
Madison also raced against his mom in the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge in 2011 and 2012. He said it was great having her there, as their pits were right next to each other every week, but on the track “I stayed away,” Madison said.
His parents instilled racing into him at an early age — Melanie brought 6-week-old Madison to the Daytona pits to watch Martin race. At age 4 or 5 he started racing go-carts (his brother McKay, 15, just won season title for his class in the Utah Kart Championship), graduating to Mazda Miatas when he was 14.
All the time away can be pretty daunting for a teen in high school.
“Catching up is horrible at school,” Madison said. “I still have to make up all my work on top of the new work I am given and learn everything that I missed while I was gone.”
Juggling school and racing will be even harder early next year as he moves up to the brand-new Unified SportsCar Championship (which is a merger of the American Le Mans and Rolex Sports Car series). He'll be racing in the GT Daytona class, battling other sports car makes and models.
"Madison will probably travel abroad this next year to do some sprint races overseas in one of the Porsche Cup Series," Melanie Snow said. "It will be a big step up with lots of tough competition but Madison will do well. He will learn lots of new tracks and different ways of wheeling the Porsche around the track."
He plans to go to college next fall, and he says continuing his education around his schedule will be easier.
Sounds like we're going to have a lot of Snow ahead.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19