Balancing act: To improve morale at work, remember to communicate
So, how can a company improve communication and morale? The Accountemps press release about the survey offers five characteristics of low-morale organizations and how to remedy them:
• An active grapevine. When real communication is hard to get, gossip flourishes, the release indicates. “Even if you have bad news to share or don’t have all the answers, honesty is still the best policy. The more team members can rely on accurate information, the less grist they’ll have for the rumor mill.”
• Lack of initiative. Unmotivated employees don’t take “an active seat at the table,” the release says. Create an ownership environment that challenges employees to solve problems.
• Scarce rewards. Be sure to recognize employees’ efforts with “praise, low-cost awards and spot bonuses. Make rewards personal and give them as soon after an achievement as possible,” according to the release. And make sure you’re sincere, because your team will know if you’re not.
• Changes in attitude. Be on the lookout for increased negativity and absenteeism or reduced cooperation.
• Poor performance. This seems obvious, but morale problems usually become performance problems fairly quickly. If productivity is falling, it may be time to check your communication.
I like this advice. There’s nothing shocking here, but a basic commitment to open and honest communication goes a long way when it comes to building employee morale.
I’d be interested in your opinions on this, too. How important is communication to your morale at work? What are some examples from your past in which either good or bad communication affected your morale and, eventually, your team’s performance? What other tips would you offer to help managers improve communication with their teams?
Please leave a comment or send me an email, and I’ll share some of your ideas when I revisit this issue in a future column.
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Clean up your finances by tossing paper,...
- Utah job forecast better than most states
- A Closer Look: Your (online) life after death
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- The market power of pumpkin spice
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 24
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- These are America's 10 poorest congressmen 2
- How employers can improve the nation's... 2
- Save money by replacing appliances that... 1
- Retail sales are up since last month 1