USU football: Kyler Fackrell named Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week
LOGAN — Utah State sophomore linebacker Kyler Fackrell has been named the Mountain West’s Defensive Player of the Week following his performance against Hawai’i last weekend, as announced by the league office Monday.
It is the first time this year and third time in his career that Fackrell has earned conference player of the week accolades as he also garnered the weekly award from the Western Athletic Conference twice during his redshirt freshman season in 2012.
Overall, it is the third time this season that USU has received a Mountain West Player of the Week honor as sophomore wide receiver/punt returner Bruce Natson was named the league’s Special Teams Player of the Week on Oct. 21, and senior cornerback Nevin Lawson earned Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week honors on Oct. 14.
Fackrell, a 6-foot-5, 245-pounder from Mesa, Ariz. (Mesa HS), posted 9.0 tackles, including 0.5 for loss, and returned an interception 99 yards for his first career defensive touchdown in Utah State’s 47-10 home win against Hawai’i. That 99 yard interception return by Fackrell ranks as the third-longest in Utah State and Mountain West history. It was also Fackrell’s first interception this year and fourth of his career.
On the season, Fackrell ranks first on the team in tackles for loss (9.5) and sacks (4.0), is tied for first in forced fumbles (2) and quarterback hurries (2), tied for second in fumbles recovered (1), and third in total tackles (59). Overall, Fackrell ranks eighth in the Mountain West in tackles for loss (1.06 pg), tied for ninth in sacks (0.44 pg), tied for ninth in fumbles forced (0.22 pg), and tied for 25th in tackles (6.6 pg).
Utah State (5-4, 4-1 MW) plays its final road game of the 2013 season at UNLV (5-4, 3-2) on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 6 p.m. MT, in a game that will be televised nationally on ESPNU.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Poppinga has endured dark times before, hopes...
- BYU football: Jamaal Williams provides...
- Utes have an array of bowl possibilities
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham concerned about...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32