Mike Sorensen: BYU knows how to beat Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen in the last minute
Hayward’s shooting has been wayward
Too bad the Jazz couldn’t have signed Gordon Hayward to a long-term deal before last week’s deadline. It’s a roll of the dice for Hayward, who as a restricted free agent can still sign with the Jazz after this season or sign with another team with the Jazz being able to match the offer.
If Hayward has a great season, his worth will obviously increase and he’ll get a bigger contract. If he struggles or sits out with an injury for an extended time, his value will go down.
It’s way early to draw any conclusions, but Hayward appears to be pressing a bit, perhaps trying to show he’s a go-to player for the Jazz. He’s forcing some shots and he'd better improve his shooting if he wants a big contract at the end of this season.
In 11 games — eight preseason and three regular season — Hayward has yet to shoot at least 50 percent in a game. After shooting just 37.8 percent in the preseason, he is shooting 37.0 percent for the regular season.
Jimmer needs change of scenery
Turns out that maybe Keith Smart wasn’t so dumb after all.
Some Jimmer Fredette fans castigated Smart for Fredette’s lack of playing time during his first two years in the NBA when he had 18 DNPs and averaged 16 minutes per game.
However, this year under new Sacramento coach Mike Malone, Fredette’s playing time has hit rock bottom.
Fredette didn’t play in the first two Kings games and in Saturday night’s loss to Golden State, Fredette only got in for the final three minutes of a blowout loss, scoring two points.
I believe there’s still a place in the NBA for Fredette as a shooter off the bench, although the former national college player of the year is never going to be an NBA star or even a starter as many folks figured after his brilliant senior season at BYU. Jimmer definitely needs a change of scenery.
- Lindon father of five sets world record in...
- BYU looking for another defensive turnaround...
- Amy Donaldson: James Lawrence had to do...
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in the...
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout Sione...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment of...
- Kincade: Poor shooting, signings have put...
- Deseret News 2015 high school football...
- Links: Utes basketball considered a... 58
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 56
- Analysis: Can Jimmer Fredette resurrect... 46
- BYU looking for another defensive... 35
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 35
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 23
- Kincade: Poor shooting, signings have... 11
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout... 10