Mitt Romney goes after tea party, Obama's 'fundamental dishonesty' about Obamacare
Obama's "fundamental dishonesty has really put in peril" his second term in the White House, Romney said, because "he knew that was not the case. He could know it by looking at Massachusetts and seeing people there lost insurance."
Romney also said the president should have allowed the states to come up with their own plans "to get all their citizens insured and make sure pre-existing conditions are covered" and phased in those plans to avoid glitches.
The administration's health insurance website has been plagued by technical problems since it went online Oct. 1 while several million Americans reportedly have lost their existing insurance or are seeing their premiums increase.
Had the president warned Americans what was coming when the health care law took effect, Romney said "there would have been such a hue and cry against it, it would not have passed."
The battle over Obamacare was a major issue in the 2012 presidential race, with Romney promising to repeal the law on his first day in office if elected. Sunday, he detailed what he would have done as president.
"My own plan was to say to each state, 'You've got a requirement to move to a point where all your people are insured and where you cover pre-existing conditions. We're going to give you flexibility,'" Romney said.
He also discounted the contention he didn't fight hard enough in 2012, saying there was no question he wanted to win. More conservative GOP candidates sought to oust Romney, a runner-up for the nomination in 2008.
"No one could have worked harder than myself and my family worked for the campaign. We were all in, 110 percent," Romney said. "We wanted to win very desperately. We recognized what was at stake."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 14
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10