Mitt Romney goes after tea party, Obama's 'fundamental dishonesty' about Obamacare
Obama's "fundamental dishonesty has really put in peril" his second term in the White House, Romney said, because "he knew that was not the case. He could know it by looking at Massachusetts and seeing people there lost insurance."
Romney also said the president should have allowed the states to come up with their own plans "to get all their citizens insured and make sure pre-existing conditions are covered" and phased in those plans to avoid glitches.
The administration's health insurance website has been plagued by technical problems since it went online Oct. 1 while several million Americans reportedly have lost their existing insurance or are seeing their premiums increase.
Had the president warned Americans what was coming when the health care law took effect, Romney said "there would have been such a hue and cry against it, it would not have passed."
The battle over Obamacare was a major issue in the 2012 presidential race, with Romney promising to repeal the law on his first day in office if elected. Sunday, he detailed what he would have done as president.
"My own plan was to say to each state, 'You've got a requirement to move to a point where all your people are insured and where you cover pre-existing conditions. We're going to give you flexibility,'" Romney said.
He also discounted the contention he didn't fight hard enough in 2012, saying there was no question he wanted to win. More conservative GOP candidates sought to oust Romney, a runner-up for the nomination in 2008.
"No one could have worked harder than myself and my family worked for the campaign. We were all in, 110 percent," Romney said. "We wanted to win very desperately. We recognized what was at stake."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 161
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17