Mitt Romney goes after tea party, Obama's 'fundamental dishonesty' about Obamacare
Obama's "fundamental dishonesty has really put in peril" his second term in the White House, Romney said, because "he knew that was not the case. He could know it by looking at Massachusetts and seeing people there lost insurance."
Romney also said the president should have allowed the states to come up with their own plans "to get all their citizens insured and make sure pre-existing conditions are covered" and phased in those plans to avoid glitches.
The administration's health insurance website has been plagued by technical problems since it went online Oct. 1 while several million Americans reportedly have lost their existing insurance or are seeing their premiums increase.
Had the president warned Americans what was coming when the health care law took effect, Romney said "there would have been such a hue and cry against it, it would not have passed."
The battle over Obamacare was a major issue in the 2012 presidential race, with Romney promising to repeal the law on his first day in office if elected. Sunday, he detailed what he would have done as president.
"My own plan was to say to each state, 'You've got a requirement to move to a point where all your people are insured and where you cover pre-existing conditions. We're going to give you flexibility,'" Romney said.
He also discounted the contention he didn't fight hard enough in 2012, saying there was no question he wanted to win. More conservative GOP candidates sought to oust Romney, a runner-up for the nomination in 2008.
"No one could have worked harder than myself and my family worked for the campaign. We were all in, 110 percent," Romney said. "We wanted to win very desperately. We recognized what was at stake."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15