Westminster basketball: Griffins pull away in second half to defeat Western State, 70-57
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s basketball team had four players in double figures as it took a 70-57 win over Western State Colorado on Saturday at the Westminster Tipoff Classic in the Behnken Field House.
After a 3-for-12 shooting drought late in the first half had Westminster (3-1) trailing 26-22 with just over a minute left in the half, they closed with a three from Colton Moon and then a hoop and a free throw by Blake Skidmore to take a 28-26 lead into halftime. Westminster shot just 33.3 percent from the floor in the half, but it held Western State to 30.4 percent to hold the lead.
With Western State getting within 40-38 at the 15:10 mark of the second half, the Griffins put together a 22-8 run to lead 62-46 with 6:42 to play in the game. Quincy Bair and Jordan Hamilton scored six points apiece during the run as the team went 7-for-11 during the stretch.
Hamilton finished the game with a career-best 18 points and nine rebounds. He shot 7-of-15 from the floor with four of his rebounds coming on the offensive end. Bair finished with 14 points, including six during a first half run that kept the Griffins close. Tallon Robertson had 13 points and a career-high 13 rebounds for his second double-double of the year. Colton Moon finished with 11 points, three assists and four steals.
The Griffins ended the game shooting 43.9 percent from the floor, while making 4-of-14 from beyond the arc. They had a 41-36 edge on the boards and scored 34 points in the paint to just 18 from the Mountaineers. Westminster limited the visitors to 31.8 percent shooting and forced 18 turnovers, which resulted in 20 points.
Jordan Adams led Western State with 20 points, shooting a perfect 10-of-10 at the foul line. Mason Biddle added seven points and five assists.
Westminster now has almost two weeks off before traveling to Caldwell, Idaho, for the Golden Rule Shootout on Nov. 15-16.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24