High school volleyball: Hurricane Tigers put together perfect match in title win dedicated to classmate
Rich finished with 12 digs, while Brooklyn Gubler, a senior outside hitter, led the team’s offense with 15 kills. The other senior outside hitter, Shania Hurst, added 11 kills, and junior setter Addie Edwards did a masterful job distributing the ball. She finished with 27 assists.
The tone was set right from the start when senior middle Reid put up an offense-altering block. She finished with 5 1/2 blocks, four of those solo.
“She moved here from Moab and missed her junior year with an ACL,” McKeehan said. “She wasn’t playing much at the beginning of the year. She just had footwork problems, couldn’t hit a quick set. But we could see she was going to be pretty good. To be honest with you, I think she was the MVP of the state tournament. She was huge for us.”
Edwards said the players' decision to focus on the mental aspects of the game made them feel more prepared and more focused than at any other time during the season.
“We were just so mentally prepared,” she said. “I don’t think the other three times we played them we were as mentally prepared. We just came in here knowing we were going to (win).”
When asked if the feeling of winning a title was anything like she expected, Edwards sighed and smiled.
“It’s the best thing in the world,” she said, looking around for one last assist from her teammates. “I don’t know. I just don’t have the words.”
Rich, her best friend, added, “It feels amazing. It feels like a dream.”
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34