High school football: Salem Hills overcomes Orem to notch its first ever playoff win in school history
One of those picks came at the hands of senior linebacker Jeremiah Smith, whose crucial interception late in the third set up a 27-yard toss from Camp to Gray for his second TD on the night to cut the lead to 21-14.
However, that much-needed momentum boomeranged right back to the Skyhawks just moments later when Peterson began the fourth quarter by launching a pass to senior wide receiver Gunnar Gustin, who sliced and diced through a handful of defenders and found nothing but green grass en route to another score to increase the lead to 28-14. Gustin led the state with 15 regular-season TDs and his 16th Friday tied the school record.
The Tigers had no answer.
Despite grabbing another interception with five minutes left, Orem could not overcome the pounding pressure of the Skyhawk defense and was unable to score the remainder of the night.
With under three minutes left to play, the Skyhawks put the nail in the coffin with a Zac Zobell touchdown, which put the Skyhawks up 35-14.
Leading the Skyhawks’ defensive charge were heavy-hitters Walker Van Tassel, a senior who led the Skyhawks with a game-high 15 tackles, and Porter Gustin, a junior linebacker who had 12 tackles and four sacks.
An overjoyed Skyhawk team gathered around Higginson in the locker room after the game where he congratulated them on being “the greatest team in the history of Salem Hills football.”
“I’m as proud of you guys and what you did tonight as I have ever been of any group in my life,” said Higginson to the team after the game. “You guys stepped it up this week in practice and showed me tonight just how committed you are to winning. I believed we could get this win tonight and you obviously believed it, too.”
Salem Hills will play at Woods Cross (10-1), a 42-14 winner of Box Elder, Friday. The time has yet to be determined.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will not go...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 120
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 72
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 70
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 52
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45