High school football: Logan quarterback Chase Nelson facing possible suspension following ejection
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LOGAN — The undefeated Logan Grizzlies might be forced to make do without their record-breaking quarterback, Chase Nelson, who was ejected after two personal fouls in the first-round win against Bountiful Friday.
Typically an ejection warrants an automatic minimum one-game suspension in any ensuing sanctioned event. However, an appeal process could potentially spare Nelson from missing next Friday’s quarterfinal game against Olympus.
According to the UHSAA official guidebook, officials are required to notify the UHSAA of any unsportsmanlike ejection no later than 24 hours after the occurrence and if further investigation is necessary for an “unusual situation,” an inquiry will be conducted by the UHSAA.
The ejection came on Nelson’s second whistled personal foul. On the play he made a non-malicious kicking motion in the direction of a defender clinging to his lower body after he had reached the end zone. There was no resultant physical contact on the play.
Logan coach Mike Favero elected not to comment until he had spoken with UHSAA officials.
Nelson has guided the Grizzlies to a perfect 11-0 record this season. Before Friday, he had thrown for a state-leading 41 touchdowns and 2,966 yards while running for 1,102 yards and nine scores.
Attempts to reach the UHSAA were unsuccessful late Friday night.
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- Dillon Robinson's career takes an unexpected,...
- Doug Robinson: What do BYU's low draft...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 91
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 47
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 43
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 42
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in... 24