Man faces felony charges in alleged restaurant bathroom assault
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man accused of physically and sexually assaulting a woman in a restaurant bathroom has been charged with aggravated sexual abuse and aggravated kidnapping.
The two first-degree felony charges were filed Friday against Justin Lloyd Martinez, 25, as well as a single class B misdemeanor for driving under the influence.
Martinez is accused of following a woman into a restaurant bathroom near 3600 West and 5600 South about 3 a.m. Sunday. Her friends were getting food at the drive-through while they waited for her.
Police say Martinez was waiting for the woman when she came out of the bathroom stall. He punched her three times in the face after she attempted to push him away, and she began to dig her fingernails into his face, according to the charges.
The woman said Martinez threatened to beat her if she didn't stay quiet, slammed her head against the wall and stuck his fingers down her throat to keep her from screaming, charges state. He then pulled down her pants and sexually assaulted her.
"I put up a pretty good fight for as long as I could," the woman told police.
The woman's friend became worried and entered the bathroom to look for her and could see her lying on the floor in a stall with another set of feet nearby, charges state.
Martinez reportedly shoved the door closed when she tried to enter the stall, then ran out and exited the bathroom.
Police arrested Martinez on Tuesday as he was leaving the West Valley City Driver License Division. A search of court records revealed a warrant was issued for his arrest Oct. 15 when he was charged with forgery, a third-degree felony, and theft by deception, a class A misdemeanor.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 18