Utah women's basketball: Utes get exhibition win over University of Mary
Ted S. Warren, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah women’s basketball coach Anthony Levrets said it seems like every year the Utes have an “incredibly young basketball team again because of circumstances due to injury.”
Such is the case this season, he explained, with several freshmen learning on the fly.
The contributions were plentiful in Friday’s 81-57 exhibition win over the University of Mary in the Huntsman Center.
Newcomer Emily Potter led all scorers with 24 points. Four other freshmen — Malia Nawahine, Nakia Arquette, Devri Owens and Wendy Anae — combined for 19 points, eight rebounds and six assists.
“I feel like they’re making progress every single day,” Levrets said. “We ask them to just focus on playing hard and competing. I felt like we competed and played hard tonight.”
Sophomore guard Danielle Rodriguez and senior forward Michelle Plouffe added 15 and 11 points, respectively. Plouffe grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds.
Utah opens the regular season Friday at home against Denver.
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 167
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 75
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 58
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 44
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 38
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20