Utah women's basketball: Utes get exhibition win over University of Mary
Ted S. Warren, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah women’s basketball coach Anthony Levrets said it seems like every year the Utes have an “incredibly young basketball team again because of circumstances due to injury.”
Such is the case this season, he explained, with several freshmen learning on the fly.
The contributions were plentiful in Friday’s 81-57 exhibition win over the University of Mary in the Huntsman Center.
Newcomer Emily Potter led all scorers with 24 points. Four other freshmen — Malia Nawahine, Nakia Arquette, Devri Owens and Wendy Anae — combined for 19 points, eight rebounds and six assists.
“I feel like they’re making progress every single day,” Levrets said. “We ask them to just focus on playing hard and competing. I felt like we competed and played hard tonight.”
Sophomore guard Danielle Rodriguez and senior forward Michelle Plouffe added 15 and 11 points, respectively. Plouffe grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds.
Utah opens the regular season Friday at home against Denver.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Coach Steve Kerr: Warriors on brink but ready...
- San Jose Sharks head to 1st Cup final after...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 34
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19
- Doug Robinson: Take heart, Jazz fans,... 15