Utah women's basketball: Utes get exhibition win over University of Mary
Ted S. Warren, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah women’s basketball coach Anthony Levrets said it seems like every year the Utes have an “incredibly young basketball team again because of circumstances due to injury.”
Such is the case this season, he explained, with several freshmen learning on the fly.
The contributions were plentiful in Friday’s 81-57 exhibition win over the University of Mary in the Huntsman Center.
Newcomer Emily Potter led all scorers with 24 points. Four other freshmen — Malia Nawahine, Nakia Arquette, Devri Owens and Wendy Anae — combined for 19 points, eight rebounds and six assists.
“I feel like they’re making progress every single day,” Levrets said. “We ask them to just focus on playing hard and competing. I felt like we competed and played hard tonight.”
Sophomore guard Danielle Rodriguez and senior forward Michelle Plouffe added 15 and 11 points, respectively. Plouffe grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds.
Utah opens the regular season Friday at home against Denver.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18