Utah women's basketball: Utes get exhibition win over University of Mary
Ted S. Warren, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah women’s basketball coach Anthony Levrets said it seems like every year the Utes have an “incredibly young basketball team again because of circumstances due to injury.”
Such is the case this season, he explained, with several freshmen learning on the fly.
The contributions were plentiful in Friday’s 81-57 exhibition win over the University of Mary in the Huntsman Center.
Newcomer Emily Potter led all scorers with 24 points. Four other freshmen — Malia Nawahine, Nakia Arquette, Devri Owens and Wendy Anae — combined for 19 points, eight rebounds and six assists.
“I feel like they’re making progress every single day,” Levrets said. “We ask them to just focus on playing hard and competing. I felt like we competed and played hard tonight.”
Sophomore guard Danielle Rodriguez and senior forward Michelle Plouffe added 15 and 11 points, respectively. Plouffe grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds.
Utah opens the regular season Friday at home against Denver.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs....
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 53
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26