BYU golf: Parkinson, Cougars remain in first place at Pacific Invitational
The No. 45 BYU men's golf team finished day two of the Pacific Invitational on Friday and remained in first place in the twelve-team tournament.
"Today went well and we played great," BYU men's golf head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We made a few more putts and did well coming down the stretch."
The Cougars finished the second round 16 strokes ahead of second-place Saint Mary's, who finished 6-under-par. BYU finished with a season-best 22-under-par after day two.
Sophomore Joe Parkinson remained in first place at 12-under-par with six birdies. He finished with a total score of 65 in the second round, which tied his season-best from round one.
"Joe had another great round to tie his score from yesterday," Brockbank said. "He hasn't missed a putt within 10 feet this whole week. Anytime you putt like that, you're going to get great scores and help the team."
Five strokes behind Parkinson, Justin Keiley also carried over his strong play from round one to remain in second at 7-under-par and a second-round total of five birdies.
"He was playing along pretty well today and finished with three birides, which helped a great deal," Brockbank said.
Junior Jordan Rodgers moved up 20 spots to tie in 10th place at 2-under-par with seven birdies, including three in the last four holes. Stephen Archibald completed the second round to tie in 29th place at 3-over-par with two birdies, while Jordan Hammer moved up 10 spots to tie in 44th place at 6-over-par with three birdies for the day.
West Coast Conference teams Saint Mary's, Santa Clara and Pacific finished in second, fourth and eighth place, respectively.
"Tomorrow is a whole new day and we're going to have to figure out a way to do what we did today," Brockbank said.
BYU will play its final round Saturday with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. PST. Live stats can be followed on Golfstat.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on 'red-alert'
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Utahns in baseball: Former Cougar Jeremy...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State... 18
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 16
- Judd: BYU football still fine-tuning... 15
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule... 15
- Will Kaufusi’s expected return... 14
- Former BYU QB Hall can avoid... 13