I did not join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints until I was 36 years old. During my early childhood, I was a member of the Methodist and Lutheran churches.
After my first marriage, I became a Baptist at age 24. I then went through a divorce after 17 months of marriage. After moving, I met another young woman whom I thought would make a wonderful wife. She was a member of the Church of God. I was baptized into her faith and served as choir director, youth director and Sunday School teacher.
In 1978, I met another young woman who was different. She was always happy and served others. I had moved again and one morning in February 1980, we had a snowstorm in South Carolina.
The snow was very rare but changed my life.
I was in my kitchen that morning and heard a noise on my front porch. I opened the door and two young men with white shirts, coats and ties were there. One of them had fallen and cut his knee on my porch step.
I invited them in and they introduced themselves as missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They gave me the first discussion and left me with a Book of Mormon. After praying about what they had marked in my book from Moroni 10:3-5, I was sure that this was what I had seen in that young woman I knew. I was baptized in March 1980 at age 36. My wife and I were married on June 26, 1981, and went to the Washington, D.C., Temple in June 1982 to be sealed for time and all eternity.
I’m sure mine is not the only conversion story of this wonderful religion. I find strength in the 23rd Psalm, which I memorized when I was attending the Lutheran Church. I have now been a member of the LDS Church for more than 30 years.
Tommy Grant lives in Rockland, Idaho.
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is Born'...
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a reminder...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- 4 women witnesses to the Book of Mormon...
- 5 tips for digitizing photos
- President Henry B. Eyring rededicates temple...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 41
- Renovated LDS temple represents... 11
- 4 women witnesses to the Book of Mormon... 7
- Book review: 'Finding Peace When a... 7
- U.S. Catholic leaders approve new plan... 6
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is... 3
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 3
- 4 effective ways to teach your kids... 2