I did not join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints until I was 36 years old. During my early childhood, I was a member of the Methodist and Lutheran churches.
After my first marriage, I became a Baptist at age 24. I then went through a divorce after 17 months of marriage. After moving, I met another young woman whom I thought would make a wonderful wife. She was a member of the Church of God. I was baptized into her faith and served as choir director, youth director and Sunday School teacher.
In 1978, I met another young woman who was different. She was always happy and served others. I had moved again and one morning in February 1980, we had a snowstorm in South Carolina.
The snow was very rare but changed my life.
I was in my kitchen that morning and heard a noise on my front porch. I opened the door and two young men with white shirts, coats and ties were there. One of them had fallen and cut his knee on my porch step.
I invited them in and they introduced themselves as missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They gave me the first discussion and left me with a Book of Mormon. After praying about what they had marked in my book from Moroni 10:3-5, I was sure that this was what I had seen in that young woman I knew. I was baptized in March 1980 at age 36. My wife and I were married on June 26, 1981, and went to the Washington, D.C., Temple in June 1982 to be sealed for time and all eternity.
I’m sure mine is not the only conversion story of this wonderful religion. I find strength in the 23rd Psalm, which I memorized when I was attending the Lutheran Church. I have now been a member of the LDS Church for more than 30 years.
Tommy Grant lives in Rockland, Idaho.
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he has 'no...
- 1st edition Book of Mormon sells for $52,500...
- Pope prays at Armenia memorial after...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Church releases video in conjunction with...
- Picturing history: Historic Kirtland
- Man creates violence, responsible for ending...
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing in...
- Mormon youth leader dies on trek outing... 73
- Defending the Faith: The challenge... 29
- Survey: White evangelicals say US no... 21
- Trump to top evangelicals:... 19
- 7 conservative Christians who are not... 11
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he... 10
- LDS family stars in new TLC show,... 9
- Family of scholars: Utah family... 9