Uintah County teen shot by pellet gun while trick-or-treating, deputies investigating
VERNAL — A Uintah County teen is recovering after investigators say he was shot in the chest, possibly with a pellet gun, while trick-or-treating with his younger brother.
The teen was standing near 500 East and 4000 South about 7 p.m. Thursday, waiting for his younger brother to return from a nearby house, when a white pickup pulled up, according to Uintah County Sheriff Jeff Merrell.
A man in the truck pointed what now appears to be a pellet gun through an open window and fired, hitting the teen in the ribs, Merrell said. The projectile tore through the boy's clothes but did not penetrate his skin, the sheriff said.
"He heard laughing and the people leaving," Merrell said.
Authorities were notified about the incident when the teen and his brother got back to their house. Deputies were unable to find the truck.
The teen told investigators the truck looked like a Ford F-150, and said the man who shot him appeared to be in his late 20s or early 30s, Merrell said.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Uintah County Sheriff's Department at 435-781-5409.
— Geoff Liesik
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Crash on U.S. 40 west of Vernal injures 3,...
- Clearfield pediatrician arrested in child...
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Utah families, researchers play role in...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 54
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 24
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21