Uintah County teen shot by pellet gun while trick-or-treating, deputies investigating
VERNAL — A Uintah County teen is recovering after investigators say he was shot in the chest, possibly with a pellet gun, while trick-or-treating with his younger brother.
The teen was standing near 500 East and 4000 South about 7 p.m. Thursday, waiting for his younger brother to return from a nearby house, when a white pickup pulled up, according to Uintah County Sheriff Jeff Merrell.
A man in the truck pointed what now appears to be a pellet gun through an open window and fired, hitting the teen in the ribs, Merrell said. The projectile tore through the boy's clothes but did not penetrate his skin, the sheriff said.
"He heard laughing and the people leaving," Merrell said.
Authorities were notified about the incident when the teen and his brother got back to their house. Deputies were unable to find the truck.
The teen told investigators the truck looked like a Ford F-150, and said the man who shot him appeared to be in his late 20s or early 30s, Merrell said.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Uintah County Sheriff's Department at 435-781-5409.
— Geoff Liesik
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14