WR Kenneth Scott, ankle (4 games) — season-ending injury occurred in September
LB Jacoby Hale, injury unknown (2 games)
S, LB Brian Blechen, tendinitis (4 games) — missed entire season
RB Mike Alisa, groin injury (4 games)
C Terrance Alletto, stingers (3 games)
FS Craig Bills, concussion (1 game)
LB Tyler Beck, hamstring injury (1 game)
DB Mike Hague, hip/quad injury (1 game)
KR Adam Hine, concussion (1 game)
CB Drew Reilly, shoulder injury (2 games)
OL Brock Stringham, shoulder injury (1 game)
DL Logan Taele, knee injury, (2 games)
LB Sae Tautu, concussion (2 games)
TE Brett Thompson, eye injury, (1 game)
WR Eric Thornton, groin injury, (2 games)
OL De'Ondre Wesley, concussion (1 game)
LB Austen Jorgensen, knee (0 games)
PR JD Falslev, broken hand (0 games)
Both Utah and BYU have bye weeks this week, which will prove beneficial to Ute quarterback Wilson and Cougar safety Sorensen heading into big games against Arizona State and Wisconsin, respectively.
“This has come at a great time. We have been holding on by a thread,” said BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall of his team's bye. “It comes at a great time especially when we’ll be facing a tough, physical team in Wisconsin.”
Concussions have been rampant at BYU. When Williams went out cold, his arm was paralyzed (stinger left it numb) until the early morning hours the next day. With concussions, there are protocols and most of the time concussed players can’t remember where they are, what they just did, what part of the game they just played in, or the score.
When Hague got knocked out against Boise State on the Bronco sideline, coaches — even BSU’s Chris Petersen — and medical personnel waited closely by to see what memory loss he had.
“Did I make the tackle?” asked Hague. “Did I make the tackle?”
“Yes,” someone replied, “you made the tackle.”
Well, there are concussions, then there are concussions.
This week’s picks:
Wisconsin 28, Iowa 21: Badgers get back on track for home game with Cougars.
Arizona 38, Cal 14: Wildcats have too much firepower for Bears.
Texas 38, Kansas 10: Longhorns step over the doormat.
Auburn 28, Arkansas 17: An SEC game that Auburn can flex its muscles in.
Missouri 37, Tennessee 20: The newcomer is clearly better than the old-timer.
UCLA 28, Colorado 10: Bruins use this as a tune-up game.
Utah State 28, Hawaii 17: Aggies welcome Norm Chow to Logan.
Last week 6-1; Overall 56-20 (.722)
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- No stranger to struggle: Cottonwood's Cooper...
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 62
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 20
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 18
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career... 15