The LDS theology of matter
Creating Christian vocabulary in a non-Christian land
LDS prisoners at the Davao Penal Colony No. 502, 1944
The medical practice of Dr. Frederick G. Williams
Rediscovering Provo’s first tabernacle with ground-penetrating radar
Comparing BYU with other religious universities
The LDS Church in Italy
This partial list is chronological and does not include any of the articles edited by my colleagues that I then read as a second editor (two sets of eyes being better than one). It also does not include a longer list of articles that were submitted but, for one reason or another, were not accepted for publication.
I think you get the idea when I say it has been quite an education.
Not every topic should interest every reader. To be honest, not all of them interested me. But I learned something from each of them. Still, BYU Studies Quarterly covers a wide range of topics — from mathematics to music and from history to humanities, all of which is written by experts in the various disciplines but written for a college-educated reader.
The nice thing about the journal is that every issue is different. Each issue also includes essays, historical documents, poetry and reviews of books and other media. And 51 years of BYU Studies content is free online. The most recent three years are reserved for subscribers (but are available to anyone for a download fee).
Which of all these articles is my personal favorite? I suppose it’s a tie. Based on the importance of the article, I would have to vote for Ed Kimball’s history of his father’s revelation on priesthood in 1978. But for sheer enjoyment, the 152-page history of Mormon cinema by Randy Astle was a delightful, incredible piece of work. It was like looking at more than 100 years of Mormon history through the lens of a camera. And in this case, I’m pretty sure the book is better than the movie!
Roger Terry is the editorial director at BYU Studies, which publishes a quarterly Mormon studies journal and books on LDS topics.
- LDS couple leads New York 'MTC,' preparing...
- Newly released Mormon Message offers counsel...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Provo's Waffle Love made time for church...
- ‘God bless the military’ sign can...
- Major LDS growth in Africa unaffected by...
- The brave man who may have risked his life in...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 41
- Major LDS growth in Africa unaffected... 15
- Positive developments for LDS blacks... 14
- ‘God bless the military’... 14
- Chicago archbishop calls for tough gun... 12
- Friday Minute: What to do when critics... 11
- The brave man who may have risked his... 9