Former congressman named 'Good Scout of the Year' by Calif. council
Former U.S. Congressman from Carlsbad, Calif., Ron Packard, was honored as Coastal North County’s "Good Scout of the Year," Saturday, Oct. 12, by the Boy Scouts of America, San Diego-Imperial Council.
More than 100 people attended the celebration dinner, which was at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa.
As a young man, Packard was a Boy Scout growing up in Idaho, and today, the 82-year-old is still active in Scouting. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he heads the Boy Scout committee for Team 716, and Pack 716 in Carlsbad.
“Boy Scouts of America is the best organization in the country to help boys move along” in life, Packard said during an interview at the Saturday night honorary dinner.
He said, at the awards dinner Saturday night, that he had achieved just about every personal goal he had set for himself in life, yet lamented he was not able to finish his own Eagle award. He said his goal is “to encourage all the young men to receive their Eagle Scout awards.”
He served in Congress for 18 years from 1983 to 2001 before retiring, but remains active in many endeavors.
Ron and his wife Jean, were married in 1952, and recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. They have seven children, 34 grandchildren, and a growing number of great-grandchildren.
Judy Chauncey is a media specialist for the Carlsbad California Stake Public Affairs Committee.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 58
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11