Former congressman named 'Good Scout of the Year' by Calif. council
Former U.S. Congressman from Carlsbad, Calif., Ron Packard, was honored as Coastal North County’s "Good Scout of the Year," Saturday, Oct. 12, by the Boy Scouts of America, San Diego-Imperial Council.
More than 100 people attended the celebration dinner, which was at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa.
As a young man, Packard was a Boy Scout growing up in Idaho, and today, the 82-year-old is still active in Scouting. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he heads the Boy Scout committee for Team 716, and Pack 716 in Carlsbad.
“Boy Scouts of America is the best organization in the country to help boys move along” in life, Packard said during an interview at the Saturday night honorary dinner.
He said, at the awards dinner Saturday night, that he had achieved just about every personal goal he had set for himself in life, yet lamented he was not able to finish his own Eagle award. He said his goal is “to encourage all the young men to receive their Eagle Scout awards.”
He served in Congress for 18 years from 1983 to 2001 before retiring, but remains active in many endeavors.
Ron and his wife Jean, were married in 1952, and recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. They have seven children, 34 grandchildren, and a growing number of great-grandchildren.
Judy Chauncey is a media specialist for the Carlsbad California Stake Public Affairs Committee.
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but serves...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use social...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 94
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 38
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 35
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland posts picture... 16
- Defending the Faith: The very... 13
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 11