Utah geology calendar hits shelves, displaying state's unique features
Tyler Knudsen, Utah Geological Survey
SALT LAKE CITY — Have a hankering to see a hoodoo? Do you find argillite alluring? Savor scallops, and not the seafood kind?
Those vastly unique geologic features showcased in landscapes across Utah are captured in the photography displayed by the 2014 Utah Geology Calendar, an annual tradition that reflects the work and expertise of geologists with the Utah Geological Survey.
"I think every year the quality of the photographs get better and better," said Vicky Clarke, the publications manager for the state agency. "They really do try to improve the quality of their photographs."
The calendar started out as almost a side project eight years ago as a way to showcase some of the photographs the agency's geologists routinely take in the field as part of their job.
It has evolved from there into a popular tradition and friendly competition among staffers, Clarke said.
"It has become very competitive and a great source of pride for the geologists when their photos are selected,” said Clarke.
This year, 257 photos were considered for inclusion from 28 people. A committee of six people — three geologists and three graphic designers — make the ultimate selection.
Marshall Robinson’s picture of the Goosenecks of the San Juan River at Goosenecks State Park is one of the photos that made the cut — and it represents his first work featured in the calendar.
“The Goosenecks is such a photographic place. It was such a great opportunity because the lighting was right and the view was fantastic,” he said.
This year, the survey had 4,000 of the calendars printed featuring 34 photos. The calendars sell for $4.95 apiece — enough to pay for the printing costs.
The calendars are available at the Department of Natural Resources Map and Bookstore, 1594 W. North Temple in Salt Lake City, or by going online at www.mapstore.utah.gov.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 66
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 41
- Police break silence about... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 18
- New definition of homeless would give... 18