Commentary: Jimmer Fredette receives get out of jail free card as Kings decline team option
Rich Pedroncelli, AP
What some may see as a bad thing for Sacramento Kings guard Jimmer Fredette, I see as a get out of jail free card.
Thursday, the Kings declined the fourth-year team option on Fredette’s contract that would have paid him a little more than $3 million next season.
Even better, because the Kings didn’t pick up his option, he will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
With this move, the Kings are clearly showing that Fredette isn’t in their long-term plans. That comes as no shock to Kings or Fredette fans. He hasn’t fit in since he arrived, and it is clear there is no room for him now.
With this move, the Kings now have an expiring contract that they can move. That should be a positive thing for Fredette. There are more than a handful of teams interested in his services that can use his skill set.
While still a liability on defense, Fredette has unlimited range and shoots an impressive percentage from distance. Not only is Fredette a good outside shooter, but he can still score in bunches and carry a team on the offensive end of the floor for stretches of time.
Now that Fredette knows that his future isn’t in Sacramento, maybe he can go to a place where both the coach and the organization want him and they can use his skills in a system that suits him as a player. Those two things never happened in Sacramento.
Now, the hope is that the Kings actually move Fredette in a deal sooner instead of later. If not, he will languish on the bench for a team that won't use him.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37