Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
With the expansion to six classifications, a record 72 teams advanced to the playoffs, up from 69 the past two seasons. However, the highest percentage of schools entering the tournament came in 1997 when 75 percent qualified compared with 70 percent this year.
Fifty-six teams — over 81 percent — of the 2012 participants return, and 63 of this season’s 72 tournament teams made the postseason at least once the past two years.
The 2013 tourney includes a half-dozen squads that haven’t seen tournament action for at least four years: Taylorsville (2003), Snow Canyon, Tooele (both 2006), Roy, Uintah (both 2007) and Salem Hills (2009).
FELT'S NEXT FACT: NOTABLY ABSENT
Felt’s Facts welcomes questions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20