Duce's Wild: 'What if I drop a tray?' Answering important questions from a new deacon
I’ll always remember the image of a deacon from our ward who began carrying a briefcase to church when he was called as president of his quorum. In all other ways, he was a regular, goofy, fun-loving and energetic 12-year-old kid, but he took his new priesthood responsibilities very seriously. Now that he’s serving a full-time mission in Argentina, I hope my son is able to follow in his dedicated footsteps of leadership, responsibility and service in our ward.
The meeting officially ended as they all knelt in prayer in our living room where they asked my son to pray. For me, it was a simple yet profound moment of gratitude for the opportunity to raise such a pure-hearted boy.
After cinnamon rolls, hot chocolate and more bantering and storytelling, the boys again slapped my son’s shoulders as they left with the parting words, “It’s a lot to take in, but it’s pretty easy to do when you get into it.”
It is a lot to take in not just for a boy, but also for his mother. So I’ll keep his white shirt pressed and his hair cut more often. I’ll take him to church early and drive him to service projects until he can drive himself. I’ll say a prayer every day that he keeps his mind pure and resists temptations to swear, look at pornography or notice perfumed girls as more than just friends.
And just to ease his mind, I’ll pray that he won’t drop a tray.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 154
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 62
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 14