Duce's Wild: 'What if I drop a tray?' Answering important questions from a new deacon
I’ll always remember the image of a deacon from our ward who began carrying a briefcase to church when he was called as president of his quorum. In all other ways, he was a regular, goofy, fun-loving and energetic 12-year-old kid, but he took his new priesthood responsibilities very seriously. Now that he’s serving a full-time mission in Argentina, I hope my son is able to follow in his dedicated footsteps of leadership, responsibility and service in our ward.
The meeting officially ended as they all knelt in prayer in our living room where they asked my son to pray. For me, it was a simple yet profound moment of gratitude for the opportunity to raise such a pure-hearted boy.
After cinnamon rolls, hot chocolate and more bantering and storytelling, the boys again slapped my son’s shoulders as they left with the parting words, “It’s a lot to take in, but it’s pretty easy to do when you get into it.”
It is a lot to take in not just for a boy, but also for his mother. So I’ll keep his white shirt pressed and his hair cut more often. I’ll take him to church early and drive him to service projects until he can drive himself. I’ll say a prayer every day that he keeps his mind pure and resists temptations to swear, look at pornography or notice perfumed girls as more than just friends.
And just to ease his mind, I’ll pray that he won’t drop a tray.
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 43
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 14
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- New Harmony: Ogling the penmanship of... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4