Do you want criticism with that? One of the world's most famous hamburger joints is under fire for allegedly donating only meager portions of its empire to charity.
An advocacy group called Corporate Accountability International released a report this month called "Clowning Around with Charity: How McDonald's Exploits Philanthropy and Targets Children," which accuses the multi-billion dollar company of being stingy with its donations to Ronald McDonald House Charities.
"The report criticizes McDonald's for reportedly supporting only 20 percent of the nonprofit's funding while customers allegedly contribute as much as 1.5 times more to the charitable organization than McDonald's does itself," ABC reported in a recent article.
According to ABC, McDonald's corporate giving is a third less than other major companies, the report found.
But McDonald's is responding to the backlash, calling the report misleading and shameful, the Huffington Post reports.
In a statement included in both ABC and Huffington Post's reporting, senior vice president of McDonald's corporate relations, Bridget Coffing, called the report a "thinly veiled attack" on the McDonald's brand and by extension on those who have benefited from the charity of the Ronald McDonald House.
"... McDonald's categorically rejects this self-serving and biased document and stands proud of the significant financial support and volunteer hours we have and will continue to provide to RMHC and other charities worldwide," Coffing said in part of her statement.
According to NBC Philadelphia, the report accused McDonald's of taking credit for the work the Ronald McDonald House does.
"Our critique is that McDonald's touts the charity as if it were its own, that it wholly funds it, but the reality is the local charities are very much on their own. McDonald's gives less than a third of 1 percent of revenues to charity," said Jesse Bragg, press secretary for Corporate Accountability International, ABC reported.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- Student debt pushing some retirees toward...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4