With all that has been going on in the government recently (Government Shutdown, Affordable Care Act, Immigration Reform etc.) something important has slipped passed most Americans and should not be ignored. Our education system has been dramatically altered.
Our Government is dumbing down our children with the Common Core Education System (“CCES”). The CCES standards have not been examined closely, or the research was faulty. Many child education experts agree. One child psychologist stated that the new standards are too relaxed and will lead to behavior problems. The students will not be sufficiently engaged, will tune out their teachers and eventually tune out learning entirely.
One math professor pointed out that Algebra 2 is now the new standard for graduating high school students rather than the more difficult Trigonometry. He stated that our children will not be able to reach aptitudes required by top colleges. In fact, eighth grade students in the U.S. will be two years behind other high ranking nations.
It would seem all the CCES focuses on is children feeling good, rather than being good. Math, Science, English, and other classes are all left in the dust with self-esteem replacing knowledge and competence.
With the U.S. already lagging so far behind other developed nations, is now a good time to lower our expectations?
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- Jay Evensen: Marijuana acceptance will lead...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Letter: Irreparable damage
- Everything you need to know about the...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- Letter: Utah's birthright 47
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Letter: Irreparable damage 44
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 44
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37