Canyons School District began implementing healthy food practices when it opened in July 2009, according to Sebastian Varas, the district's director of nutrition services. The district offered whole wheat grains and a variety of fruit and vegetables.
"That really paved the way for the (federal) changes," he said.
Varas said he tries to find foods the students like, such as pizza or fries, and cook them in healthy ways that are appealing to students.
"You can have the most healthy lunch, but if (the students) don't like it, it's pointless," he said.
Part of Canyons District's success has come from its educational efforts, Varas said.
"Any opportunity we have to educate the public and the student, we take," he said.
This year, Varas and his team have adopted a jungle theme. They have created games for students in the district to help them learn about nutrition.
"They're playing, but they're learning at the same time," he said.
District officials have tested the taste of their food by soliciting feedback from a panel of students in grades K-12. They then try to create a menu that matches these preferences.
The success of such programs is evident in the rising numbers of school lunch participation, Loveland said.
Statewide, school meal participation is up 3 percent from last year. In August, schools served 99,000 more meals than they did in August 2012, and in September they served 24,000 more meals than the same month last year.
"It's better than ever before," Varas said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 49
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 24
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7