BYU golf: Parkinson and Cougars in first place after day one
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
STOCKTON, Calif. - Sophomore Joe Parkinson and the No. 45 BYU men's golf team finished on top in the Pacific Invitational's first round on Thursday.
"We played really well today and got off to a good start," BYU men's golf head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "The guys just really hung in there. It's always fun to play well, so it'll be nice to come out tomorrow holding the lead. It'll be interesting to see how we handle it."
BYU completed day one of the 12-team tournament 7-under-par with a team total of 15 birdies and a total score of 277. Charlotte, Santa Clara and UC Davis all tied in second, seven strokes behind BYU, and each had a total score of 284.
Parkinson, who was September's West Coast Conference Men's Golfer of the Month, finished with a total score of 65 at 6-under-par including a total of seven birdies. Parkinson's first round was his best score of the season.
"It was just nice to see him shoot 6-under-par in a round," Brockbank said. "That really helps the team, so big kudos to Joe."
Senior Justin Keiley tied in second and had four birdies to finish 3-under-par and a total score of 68. Stephen Archibald played even par, including an eagle on the second hole, and tied for 13th place.
"Justin played well today and made some putts," Brockbank said. "It's exciting and fun to see them play like that."
WCC foes Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and Pacific finished in second, eighth and 10th place, respectively.
The Cougars return to action at Stockton Country Club on Friday with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. PST. Live stats can be followed at Golfstat.
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Brad Rock: Spring football not an answer to...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Commentary: Pacific Northwest apprenticeship...
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 103
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 53
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 53
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24
- Conference title games a point of... 23
- Big 12 commish's dire warning about... 15