BYU golf: Parkinson and Cougars in first place after day one
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
STOCKTON, Calif. - Sophomore Joe Parkinson and the No. 45 BYU men's golf team finished on top in the Pacific Invitational's first round on Thursday.
"We played really well today and got off to a good start," BYU men's golf head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "The guys just really hung in there. It's always fun to play well, so it'll be nice to come out tomorrow holding the lead. It'll be interesting to see how we handle it."
BYU completed day one of the 12-team tournament 7-under-par with a team total of 15 birdies and a total score of 277. Charlotte, Santa Clara and UC Davis all tied in second, seven strokes behind BYU, and each had a total score of 284.
Parkinson, who was September's West Coast Conference Men's Golfer of the Month, finished with a total score of 65 at 6-under-par including a total of seven birdies. Parkinson's first round was his best score of the season.
"It was just nice to see him shoot 6-under-par in a round," Brockbank said. "That really helps the team, so big kudos to Joe."
Senior Justin Keiley tied in second and had four birdies to finish 3-under-par and a total score of 68. Stephen Archibald played even par, including an eagle on the second hole, and tied for 13th place.
"Justin played well today and made some putts," Brockbank said. "It's exciting and fun to see them play like that."
WCC foes Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and Pacific finished in second, eighth and 10th place, respectively.
The Cougars return to action at Stockton Country Club on Friday with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. PST. Live stats can be followed at Golfstat.
- Let's go bowling: Predicting this year's 35...
- Utah Jazz: NBA taking notice of Jazz rookie...
- BYU football: Cougars sign JC wide receiver,...
- High school boys basketball: 5 top Utah prep...
- Commentary: For the Jazz, it's all about 2016-17
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Utah Utes basketball: Bachynski's back and a...
- BYU, Utah basketball: Fast start lifts... 156
- BYU digs early hole, can't recover in... 42
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com... 42
- Brad Rock: Utah, BYU coaches keep it in... 36
- Utah basketball: Ute sophomore Jordan... 31
- BYU, Utah basketball report card: Utes... 25
- Utah State basketball: Leading scorer... 25
- BYU football: Kyle Van Noy accepts... 25