BYU golf: Parkinson and Cougars in first place after day one
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
STOCKTON, Calif. - Sophomore Joe Parkinson and the No. 45 BYU men's golf team finished on top in the Pacific Invitational's first round on Thursday.
"We played really well today and got off to a good start," BYU men's golf head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "The guys just really hung in there. It's always fun to play well, so it'll be nice to come out tomorrow holding the lead. It'll be interesting to see how we handle it."
BYU completed day one of the 12-team tournament 7-under-par with a team total of 15 birdies and a total score of 277. Charlotte, Santa Clara and UC Davis all tied in second, seven strokes behind BYU, and each had a total score of 284.
Parkinson, who was September's West Coast Conference Men's Golfer of the Month, finished with a total score of 65 at 6-under-par including a total of seven birdies. Parkinson's first round was his best score of the season.
"It was just nice to see him shoot 6-under-par in a round," Brockbank said. "That really helps the team, so big kudos to Joe."
Senior Justin Keiley tied in second and had four birdies to finish 3-under-par and a total score of 68. Stephen Archibald played even par, including an eagle on the second hole, and tied for 13th place.
"Justin played well today and made some putts," Brockbank said. "It's exciting and fun to see them play like that."
WCC foes Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and Pacific finished in second, eighth and 10th place, respectively.
The Cougars return to action at Stockton Country Club on Friday with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. PST. Live stats can be followed at Golfstat.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- Randy Hollis: Finally, the state's 'Big Four'...
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 39
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 39
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23