Deseret News combined digital and print circulation rises in past 12 months
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Deseret News experienced steady growth in combined print and digital circulation over the year ending Sept. 30, according to figures released by the Alliance for Audited Media.
Percentage increases in weekday (16 percent), Saturday (10 percent) and Sunday (4 percent) combined circulation for the newspaper and for the News' smartphone and tablet applications coincide with a growing national digital audience offsetting a gradual decline for the print product.
"While deepening our commitment to strong coverage of what matters most to Utah's families, the year-over-year numbers show that we are successfully tapping into the demand of a growing nationwide audience hungry for the depth, rigor and tone of articles found only in the Deseret News," Editor Paul Edwards said.
Before the end of the year, the Deseret News will launch updates for its mobile phone and tablet applications that will enhance the experience for its growing number of users, said Chris Higbee, general manager of deseretnews.com.
"The newest version is revamped with more content, faster loading and user-engagement features like push notifications of the latest news and information," Higbee said.
According to the Alliance for Audited Media figures, mobile phone and tablet circulation grew significantly all days of the week during the 12-month period. Digital traffic for both platforms increased 58 percent Monday-Friday, 45 percent on Sunday and 40 percent on Saturday.
The growth in Deseret News digital offset declines in print circulation. Saturday and Sunday circulation dropped 12 percent, but the newspaper's national edition shored up Sunday circulation, which was 110,403 as of the end of September. Weekday circulation fell 8 percent.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @deseretbrown
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12