"If these records were important for the investigation, clearly that's a piece of the investigation that can't move forward. That's extremely concerning," she said. "I think it just adds to that cloud of suspicion that hangs over the whole office, that hangs over Swallow."
Better Utah, a public policy advocacy group with a history of challenging Utah's Republican majority, filed a complaint against Swallow alleging campaign finance law violations. The lieutenant governor's office hired special counsel to investigate the claim. It's findings are expected in late December or early January.
Also, the Utah State Bar recently closed its investigation of a Better Utah complaint that Swallow violated professional conduct standards. The bar hasn't acted on a second complaint filed by former state Division of Consumer Protection director Traci Gundersen.
Swallow received a subpoena from the U.S. Department of Justice on July 2 to appear before a federal grand jury. In lieu of appearing in person, it allowed him to submit all documents related to Johnson, Jenson and several others. Murphy said he complied with the request to provide the records.
The DOJ Public Integrity Section declined to file criminal charges against Swallow after it ended a monthslong investigation in September. Two county attorneys with help from the FBI continue to investigate the attorney general.
Contributing: Richard Piatt
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: dennisromboy
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- February deemed a snowpack savior for...
- FBI investigating shooting of Fort Duchesne man
- Top House Democrat not seeking re-election
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 50
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 39
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 26
- Birth father rights the focus of two... 23
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23