Carbon County sheriff's employee arrested in child sex abuse case
Emery County Jail
PRICE — A civilian employee of the Carbon County Sheriff's Office has been arrested in connection with a rape and child sex assault case.
John Gerald Shiew was booked Wednesday into the Emery County Jail for investigation of rape, aggravated sexual assault of a child, child abuse, enticing a minor, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and furnishing alcohol to a minor.
Price Police Capt. Bill Barnes said Thursday that investigators would not be releasing any information about the allegations against Shiew. He referred all questions to the Carbon County Attorney's Office.
Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate said he had not yet seen the investigators' reports and therefore could not comment on the case.
Shiew, 35, has worked as a civilian employee in the Carbon County Jail for the past six months, according to Carbon County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Tom Stefanoff. He is now on unpaid administrative leave, and an internal affairs investigation is underway, the chief deputy said.
Shiew was employed by the sheriff's office in the past, working as a corrections officer. But in December 2010, the state's Peace Officer Standards and Training Council suspended his peace officer certification for three years.
Minutes from the council's Dec. 6, 2010, meeting indicate that Shiew lied during an administrative investigation into a sexual relationship with a woman who "was under supervision of family drug court."
"(Shiew) apologized for his actions and told the council he would like to return to law enforcement in the future," the council's minutes state.
The sheriff's office fired Shiew after the 2010 incident, Stefanoff said.
Shiew remains in the Emery County Jail, where he is being held in lieu of $61,291 bail.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Four being questioned in attempted murder of...
- Schools at top and bottom of Title I...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 95
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 15
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11