Carbon County sheriff's employee arrested in child sex abuse case
Emery County Jail
PRICE — A civilian employee of the Carbon County Sheriff's Office has been arrested in connection with a rape and child sex assault case.
John Gerald Shiew was booked Wednesday into the Emery County Jail for investigation of rape, aggravated sexual assault of a child, child abuse, enticing a minor, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and furnishing alcohol to a minor.
Price Police Capt. Bill Barnes said Thursday that investigators would not be releasing any information about the allegations against Shiew. He referred all questions to the Carbon County Attorney's Office.
Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate said he had not yet seen the investigators' reports and therefore could not comment on the case.
Shiew, 35, has worked as a civilian employee in the Carbon County Jail for the past six months, according to Carbon County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Tom Stefanoff. He is now on unpaid administrative leave, and an internal affairs investigation is underway, the chief deputy said.
Shiew was employed by the sheriff's office in the past, working as a corrections officer. But in December 2010, the state's Peace Officer Standards and Training Council suspended his peace officer certification for three years.
Minutes from the council's Dec. 6, 2010, meeting indicate that Shiew lied during an administrative investigation into a sexual relationship with a woman who "was under supervision of family drug court."
"(Shiew) apologized for his actions and told the council he would like to return to law enforcement in the future," the council's minutes state.
The sheriff's office fired Shiew after the 2010 incident, Stefanoff said.
Shiew remains in the Emery County Jail, where he is being held in lieu of $61,291 bail.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Security, firefighters detain woman...
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 43
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 33
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 19
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12