Centerville social worker abused teen client, police say
Davis County Jail
CENTERVILLE — A clinical social worker was arrested Wednesday after police say he sexually abused one of his clients.
Scott Andrew Peterson, 36, of Bountiful, was booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of forcible sodomy and two counts of forcible sexual abuse.
Peterson was the owner of Therapy on the Fly, 1199 S. Main in Centerville.
The alleged victim, now 17, had been receiving therapy from Peterson. Peterson had sexual relations with the girl in his office from March until June, said Centerville Assistant Police Chief Paul Child. The business closed in August for no known reason, he said.
The girl, who was 16 during most of that time frame, told investigators she engaged in sexual acts with Peterson in his office 15 to 20 times, according to a Davis County Jail report. Detectives were also shown "multiple text messages" on the girl's phone to and from Peterson showing an "extensive relationship," the report states. The texts were exchanged daily for several months, according to police.
The girl later told her bishop what had happened. He, in turn, contacted LDS Church attorneys who contacted police.
During his interview with investigators, Peterson said he had been the girl's counselor for about two years, beginning when she was 15. He told police he "began to have very strong feelings for her and one thing led to another," according to the report.
On its website, Therapy on the Fly advertised itself as specializing in dealing with adolescents. There was no information immediately available as to why the business closed or if it was related to the investigation.
No criminal charges have been filed against Peterson. Child said there was no evidence of any additional victims.
Peterson has been licensed in Utah since 2008, according to the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing's website. He received a master of social work degree from New Mexico Highlands University in 2005, according to the website.
Police believe Peterson has been involved in an Internet business since closing his clinic.
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- New protocol to help domestic violence...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 10
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7